Help for VAR-L Archives

VAR-L Archives

VAR-L@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

VAR-L Home

VAR-L  December 2018

VAR-L December 2018

HaCKS sociolinguistics workshop on indexicality - 10/12/18, Sheffield

Nathaniel Dziura <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 3 Dec 2018 15:37:06 +0000

HaCKS (Historical and Contemporary Knowledgebase in Sociolinguistics) is a student-led forum based across the Universities of Sheffield, York, and Leeds. We aim to approach key topics in linguistics from a sociolinguistic angle and provide a twofold platform for discussion of these issues: a programme of workshops and an accompanying blog where continued discussion can take place. The central theme of our workshops in 2018-19 is indexicality, including approaches to and applications of this concept across different sub-fields of linguistics. Specifically, we are interested in whether this term is under-theorised in research on language variation.

For our first workshop this year, we have 6 exciting talks from researchers exploring indexicality in historical and modern contexts.

A schedule with details about talks and speakers is available here: https://goo.gl/TzD87U

We very much encourage discussion, interdisciplinarity, and interfaces between linguistic sub-fields so this would be an excellent networking opportunity.

Lunch and refreshments will be provided. We do ask that you provide a small donation of £4 to help cover catering costs. We are able to offer a limited number of travel contributions of up to £15 for this event, so please contact us ahead of the event if you would like to be reimbursed! We may be able to offer larger travel contributions in some instances, so please get in contact to see if we can arrange this.