Help for UTSG Archives

UTSG Archives

UTSG@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

UTSG Home

UTSG  April 2019

UTSG April 2019

Call for Abstracts - 12th International Conference on Travel Survey methods (ISCTSC) - May 31 - June 5, 2020, Portugal

Francisco Camara Pereira <[log in to unmask]>

Francisco Camara Pereira <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 9 Apr 2019 15:57:53 +0000

<Deadline for abstracts: June 15,  2019; Deadline for full papers: May 1, 2020>

Dear all,

We have great pleasure in inviting you to submit abstracts to the 12th International Conference on Transport Survey Methods (https://www.isctsc2020.pt/) to be held in Portugal Hotel Golf Mar on the seaside, in Vimeiro, just 45 minutes north of Lisbon (https://www.hotelgolfmarvimeiro.pt).

The International Steering Committee for Travel Survey Conferences (ISCTSC) organizes these conferences with the aim of offering transport professionals (researchers, practitioners, modelers, planners, and others) the possibility to present their work, exchange information, network, promote international collaboration, and serve as a forum for the presentation of workshops, papers, and posters.

Rapidly evolving problems and policy contexts are compelling us to advance the state-of-the- art of survey methods, tools, strategies and protocols, while assuring the stability and coherence of the data from which trends can be tracked and understood. The Portugal conference will build on outputs from previous conferences and try to address these emerging research issues. It will place particular emphasis on two related elements:

1. Traditional survey methods. For which kind of data do we still need travel surveys? How can we treat traditional challenges (sampling, response rate, respondent burden, data quality...) with new technologies and emerging survey techniques?

2. Big data. More and more passive big data are available in transport and mobility. How can we assess their quality and representativeness, can we develop automatic processes to enrich and use them, how can we combine them with more traditional data collection?

We still need travel surveys but what are the consequences of new data sources? Which kind of data still need to be produced by travel surveys? Are there specific challenges for traditional question (sampling, response rate, respondent burden, data quality...) within traditional or new and emerging survey techniques?

SUBMISSION OF ABSTRACTS

Abstracts on any aspect of transport survey methods are eligible, but we particularly encourage those that address the two main themes of the conference above and the priority topics that have arisen through past conferences that are listed below.

Abstracts of 1,000 words are required, and should include full contact information for the corresponding author(s). Workshop themes will be defined in accordance with proposed abstracts. Papers will be presented in workshop or poster sessions.

Please submit your abstracts in English by June 15th, 2019 via Easychair

https://easychair.org/conferences/ ISCTSC2020. Authors will be notified of abstract acceptance on October 2019. Full papers will be due May 1st, 2020.

PRIORITY TOPICS

Passive big data

	• How can we assess data quality

	• Data accessibility, data privacy

	• Can we automate and stabilize data processing with constantly evolving data

	• Combining big data and traditional survey, data enriching

	• Which new potential for data analysis (continuous data...)

Travel survey and new technology

	• Potential of ICT (internet, social networks, smart phones, GPS, etc.)

	• New methodologies (other than ICT)

	• Validation of new survey methods or new survey interfaces

	• Data processing and data imputation

	• Quality versus quantity in samples and surveys

	• Which new potential for data analysis (more precise spatial data, itinerary, longer survey period...)

	• Keeping temporal comparability with evolving methodology

Travel survey tools and methods

	• Coordinated packages of travel surveys and data: how to maintain consistency, how to combine methods and data

	• Comparative studies of survey methods

	• Sample issues: sample size, sample bias, recruitment methods, sampling frames

	• Response to challenge the decrease of response rate

	• Incentive, public involvement, recruitment

	• Ethics/minority representation in sampling

	• Surveying specific population (immigrants, extremely poor, ethnic minority,

elderly/youngsters/mothers, handicapped...)

Emerging or traditional topics and travel survey

	• Use of qualitative/soft datasets and challenges of micro (as well as macro) datasets

	• Measuring behavioral processes and changes over time

	• Measuring attitude and their potential effects on demand

	• Freight survey

	• SP/SC survey

	• Demographic, health, built environment; surveys and transport/mobility data: how to combine, how to

enrich?