The University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna (BOKU) is inviting applications for the position of a Full Professor
for Digitisation und Automation in the Transport and Mobility System.
The position will become available from 1st January 2019 at the Institute for Transport Studies, Department of Landscape, Spatial and Infrastructure Sciences, University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna (BOKU). The successful candidate will establish a new research group that will analyse the impacts of digitisation and automation in transport and mobility at a systems level. Both professorship and research group are co-sponsored by the Austrian Ministry for Transport, Innovation and Technology (BMVIT) as well as further partners from industry and public authorities.
The task of the professorship is to holistically analyse the impacts of digitisation and automation in transport and mobility on people, society, economy, spatial structures and environment by using a user-oriented approach. The research by the group shall support the development of framework conditions for a sustainable use of these new technologies. To this end, a systems view incorporating the mobility of people and goods, individual and public transport, road and rail transport as well as urban and rural areas shall be consistently applied. Technological research into automation and digitisation is not the concern of this professorship.
We expect the successful candidate to establish and lead a new research group „Digitisation und Automation in the Transport and Mobility System“ that will add to existing research at the Institute for Transport Studies. The professor will be actively involved in research, provide scientific guidance for the members of the research group and develop the group as strong complement to and in close interaction with research at the Institute, Department and University. This includes the acquisition of external research funding in order to secure the existence of the research group beyond the five year sponsored time horizon. In addition, the professorship is expected to lead a BOKU Centre on „Digitisation and Automation“, integrating relevant units at BOKU to utilise multidisciplinary competences. The societal impact of the research is to be ensured through collaboration with a scientific advisory board consisting of representatives of sponsors, industry, stakeholders and public authorities.
Together with the staff of the research group the professor will be responsible to cover teaching in relevant fields of transport planning and studies related to automation and digitisation, e.g. fundamentals of transport planning and mobility, transport forecasting and modelling, transport safety, or instruments in transport planning and policy. Student education duties include teaching on various study programmes at Bachelor and Master level as well as supervision of undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral theses.
• Authorisation to teach acquired at an Austrian University (venia docendi) or foreign equivalent or an equivalent subject-relevant academic qualification.
• Relevant experience and competence in teaching, guidance in scientific work, as well as the supervision of young scientists (Master and PhD students). The candidate is expected to submit a teaching portfolio.
• Teaching in German and English.
• Subject-specific research experience of international reputation, as well as the ability to network on national and international level.
• Experience in the successful acquisition, execution and management of research projects.
• Cooperation with national and international research institutions and with relevant partners from public services and business.
• Management and interpersonal skills, communication and team skills.
• Willingness to participate in public relations.
• Willingness to participate in focus areas and cooperation programs of the University.
• Willingness to participate in the self-governance of the University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna
For further information about the application process please see: http://www.boku.ac.at/mitteilungsblatt/jobs/professuren-ausschreibungen/digitalisierung-und-automatisierung-des-verkehrs-und-mobilitaetssystems/