We are very pleased to announce the TRAIL International PhD Summer school on Automated Driving from September 10 – 14 at the Metropolitan Region Rotterdam The Hague (MRDH) in Rotterdam, lead by Prof Bart van Arem.
The aim of this Summer school is to offer PhD students a multidisciplinary basis of knowledge and skills to understand the development and impacts of automated driving. This basis enables the PhD student to choose future research directions, better explain her/his research to colleagues and peers, as well as understand the research approaches and outcomes of her/his colleagues.
During this summer school you will learn from and work under the supervision of top scientists in the domain of Automated Driving. This gives you the opportunity to make a major step forward in your research. In addition, your individual research will be assessed by these top scientists. Moreover, you will have the opportunity to extend your network and set-up new research contacts.
In short, the (provisional) program of the summer school is as follows:
• Monday: Welcome by MRDH; Introduction, conceptual framework, technology and control (Bart
van Arem, Meng Wang); Keynote introduction by Richard Bishop;
• Tuesday: Human factors: acceptance, behavioural adaptation, control transitions (Marieke
Martens); Field trip to the Research lab Automated Driving Delft.
• Wednesday: Public transport and automated driving (Goncalo Correia); Field trip to the Rivium
automated shuttle, Capelle aan den IJssel
• Thursday Automated driving and freight transport (Rob Zuidwijk); Knowledge agenda Automated
Driving (Tom Alkim); dinner.
• Friday: Societal implications, impacts and policymaking; (Vincent Marchau, Maaike Snelder);
assignment wrap-up, closing and evaluation (Bart van Arem)
Participation is open for national and international PhD-students that are either working in the domain of automated driving or are interested in exploring the relevance of automated driving to their domain.
Further information is available at:
If you want to join the Summer school, please pre-register before April 15th.
We hope to meet you in September.
Prof. Bart van Arem, Prof. Vincent Marchau and Prof. Bert van Wee
TRAIL Research School