Invite to GeoForAll Webinar on Friday Dec 1@ 7:00 PM GMT How we teach tools for open geospatial science?

Suchith Anand <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 1 Dec 2017 09:34:51 +0000

#yiv3711750792 #yiv3711750792 -- P {margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;}#yiv3711750792 Please join us  today for webinar  and discussions  from colleagues at the North Carolina State University . I thank University of Colorado Denver for hosting the GeoForAll Webinars.

Some background reading materials on Open Geospatial Science at http://www.mdpi.com/journal/ijgi/special_issues/science-applications

Best wishes,

Suchith

From: GeoForAll <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Moreno-sanchez, Rafael <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 28 November 2017 2:49 AM
To: [log in to unmask];
Subject: Re: [Geo4All] Webinar Friday Dec 1 7:00 PM GMT How we teach tools for open geospatial science.

Hi everyone,
Correction on the title for our coming webinar this Friday at 7:00 PM GMT

How we teach tools for open geospatial science.
Emphasis in Open Science.
WEBINAR
Join URL: https://ucdenver.zoom.us/j/307232469

Friday December 1  at 7:00 PM GMT (12:00 PM Central Mountain Time)
How we teach tools for open geospatial science.

Vaclav Petras, Helena Mitasova, Anna Petrasova
North Carolina State University

Abstract:
Open science is much needed method to achieve more transparent and efficient research and its applications. The course we teach at North Carolina State University covers this emerging field of open science and deals with reproducibility and replicability challenges of geospatial research. The students gain a hands-on experience with tools used by scientists to conduct geospatial research which can be validated and applied by the wider geospatial community. Several geospatial open source tools are discussed in connection with general-purpose and text authoring tools such as interactive documents and revision control tools. Although the focus of the course is open science, many of the tools used in the course are used in industry, so that students pursuing various carriers can benefit from the course. The course further covers how open source communities and software development process work and how to apply this to research workflows in a lab group.

Rafael Moreno, Ph.D.
Department of Geography and Environmental Sciences
University of Colorado Denver
Office: North Classroom 3524, Auraria Campus
Campus Box 172
1200 Larimer Street NC 3524
Denver, CO 80204
Phone: 303-315-7556