SPQR Archives

SPQR@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

SPQR Home

SPQR  January 2011

SPQR January 2011

Re: ArchaeoML and RDF

Bartosz Dobrzelecki <[log in to unmask]>

Bartosz Dobrzelecki <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 7 Jan 2011 09:11:18 +0000

Hi David,

I was wondering if there has been any progress on the "ArcheoML
developer documentation" and if you are aware of any new developments
around the ArcheoM->RDF subject?

Happy New Year,
Bartek

> Dear Bartek,
>
> ArchaeoML has not yet been converted to RDF. The ArchaeoML XML schemas that
> I developed several years ago have been under development and subject to
> minor modification until recently, so we have not pursued an RDF
> implementation nor have we tried to disseminate ArchaeoML more widely,
> having decided to wait until it was fully refined and tested in functioning
> software applications that meet scholarly needs. Thus there is no ArchaeoML
> community at present, beyond the OCHRE project at the University of Chicago
> (http://ochre.lib.uchicago.edu) and the OpenContext project based in
> Berkeley. These projects have developed two different user interfaces for
> data stored in the ArchaeoML format and they have provided a diverse set of
> use cases by which the ArchaeoML schemas could be thoroughly tested and
> refined.
>
> Your inquiry is timely because the development phase is now over and during
> the next few months I will be preparing a detailed description and
> explanation of the ArchaeoML schemas in a form suitable for other
> developers, including those who are interested in an RDF implementation.
> This will be accompanied by a detailed user manual for the OCHRE database
> system, which will illustrate what can be done with the ArchaeoML data
> format to represent, integrate, and analyze philological and archaeological
> data.
>
> If you would like to contact me again in December, I would be happy to share
> this documentation with you and discuss ArchaeoML as it relates to your
> project.
>
> All the best,
>
> David Schloen

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.