Help for SOCIALNORMS Archives

SOCIALNORMS Archives

SOCIALNORMS@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

SOCIALNORMS Home

SOCIALNORMS  May 2018

SOCIALNORMS May 2018

CfP - Our data, their data. Personal experiences and social practices of privacy and surveillance - Extended deadline (07.06)

Compaso Editor <[log in to unmask]>

Compaso Editor <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 6 May 2018 13:25:15 +0300

CALL FOR PAPERS: OUR DATA, THEIR DATA. PERSONAL EXPERIENCES AND SOCIAL
PRACTICES OF PRIVACY AND SURVEILLANCE

Deadline for manuscript submission: April 15th, 2018

We invite research notes, articles, essays and book reviews that
explore make visible and intelligible emerging practices of
surveillance, their impact on privacy, and the roles of algorithms in
social life. We welcome texts from multiple disciplines and genres.

Send manuscripts at [log in to unmask]

In light of persistent debates and recent revelations on the life of
personal data beyond common intuitions and knowledge, we invite
reflections on how to understand new ways of generating, harvesting,
protecting and using personal data in the online and physical
environments.

Papers may address broader questions such as:

How can we notice and understand the circuits of our personal data?
What have we learned from specific, personal incidents involving our
digital traces, and from our experiences of dealing with settings and
policies?
What tools and approaches can we use to gain control or, if we so
choose, deliberately relinquish control over our data?
What concepts highlight and model emerging practices of surveillance
and users’ resistance?
How do digital technologies and online media shape our understanding of
privacy? What role do designers play in developing an ethics of privacy
or surveillance?
How is privacy socially stratified on various lines of inequality –
including gender, age, race and social class?
 From China to the US and Europe, how do various governments,
corporations and social actors enforce different regimes of surveillance
& privacy for their citizens, consumers and users?
We also invite reviews and critical discussions of books dedicated to
digital selves, surveillance and privacy, and algorithmic regulation –
including, but not limited to the following:

Brunton, F. and Nissenbaum, H., 2015. Obfuscation: A user’s guide for
privacy and protest. MIT Press.
Cheney-Lippold, J., 2017. We are data: Algorithms and the making of our
digital selves. NYU Press.
Eubanks, V., 2018. Automating Inequality: How High-Tech Tools Profile,
Police and Punish the Poor. St. Martin’s Press.
O’Neil, C., 2017. Weapons of math destruction: How big data increases
inequality and threatens democracy. Broadway Books.
Schneier, B., 2015. Data and Goliath: The hidden battles to collect
your data and control your world. WW Norton & Company.
Turow, J., 2017. The aisles have eyes: How retailers track your
shopping, strip your privacy, and define your power. Yale University
Press.

--
Editor
Journal of Comparative Research in Anthropology and Sociology