Au revoir from SWAP

"Rafferty J." <[log in to unmask]>

Rafferty J.

Tue, 31 Jan 2012 09:14:48 +0000

Dear colleagues,

We are pretty sure you are aware by now that SWAP formally closed as a full Centre on 31 July 2011. By August 2011 most of the SWAP team had moved on to other posts and there was just Hilary Burgess, Helen Carmichael and myself left with admin support from the wonderful Jane Revell and Chris Segar to carry through the SWAP transition to enable some work to be continued or handed on. Helen left to head up the Social Work programme at Solent in November and Jane moved to a Faculty Admin position in December. Hilary and I have each been working two days a week with the support of 1 day a week from Chris and we have seen the SWAP transition plan through. Chris is moving to another part of the School from today and it is Hilary and my last day employed at the University of Southampton. The SWAP team have been wonderful during the run down and we are really pleased that they are all in new roles.

We would like to take this opportunity of thanking all of the many colleagues and friends we have made since SWAP started in January 2000 and who have helped SWAP support social policy and social work education. The main purpose of writing though is to let you know how things stand with the transition projects.

1. The Joint Social Work Education Conference (JSWEC) will continue under the auspices of the Joint University Council Social Work Education Committee (JUC-SWEC) through a planning group chaired by Professor Tim Kelly. We were able to pass on, to a ring fenced account in JUC, a sizeable budget which we had accumulated overtime to help underwrite the conference. Tim will shortly be making an announcement about the 2012 event.

2. SWAPBox is being caretaked by Professor Maria Evandrou, Director of the Centre for Ageing at the University of Southampton, in conjunction with the original project partners, for a year, whilst negotiations continue with The College of Social Work for it to possibly take on a more central role. www.swapbox.ac.uk

3. Social Work Reform Board and External Examining
I am pleased to announce that Hilary Burgess will be working 0.2fte as an Academic Associate for the Higher Education Academy for the next two years to enable follow through as the Social Work Reform Board proposals get taken up by The College. She will be working on:
- curriculum change
- assessment
- external examining
- employability and social work education

4. The Social Work Education Project in England (SWEPE) project has been set up under the kind auspices of Kingston University, in collaboration with JUC-SWEC as reported at the January meeting. This will enable Hilary Tompsett, Hilary Burgess and myself to remain involved in supporting HE programmes during the major changes arising from the Social Work Reform Board, The College of Social Work and the move from GSCC to HPC for regulation. Practically, besides participation in working groups and meetings, it means the Ning will be kept as a main platform for communication for social work academics. The project will fund a total of 100 days over the next 18 months between the three of us.

5. The social-work-swap and social-policy-swap discussion lists remain and administration of the lists has been passed to Vida Douglas from the HEA.

6. The SWAP website remains but will not be updated at www.swap.ac.uk

We think we will be able to retain our soton.ac.uk email addresses as we are likely to get Academic Visitor status with Southampton but this has yet to be confirmed. If this changes we will update you with contact emails for both Hilary and myself. We do not have new telephone contact numbers as yet. The Higher Education Academy contact for Social Policy and Social Work is [log in to unmask]

So au revoir perhaps rather than goodbye.

best wishes in all your endeavours

Jackie and Hilary

Jackie Rafferty
Director
Higher Education Academy Subject Centre for Solicy Policy and Social Work (SWAP)
Faculty of Social and Human Sciences
University of Southampton
Highfield
Southampton