Help for ROAD-TRANSPORT-TECHNOLOGY Archives

ROAD-TRANSPORT-TECHNOLOGY Archives

ROAD-TRANSPORT-TECHNOLOGY Archives

ROAD-TRANSPORT-TECHNOLOGY@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

ROAD-TRANSPORT-TECHNOLOGY Home

ROAD-TRANSPORT-TECHNOLOGY Home

ROAD-TRANSPORT-TECHNOLOGY  December 2017

ROAD-TRANSPORT-TECHNOLOGY December 2017

Re: High Productivity (Capacity) Vehicles for Fuel and dangerous goods

Chris Carr <[log in to unmask]>

Chris Carr <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 1 Dec 2017 01:10:10 +0000

Hi Alejandra,

In New Zealand we have limits of 44 tonnes, and 20 metres overall length, normally.
With our HPMV it is possible to increase up to around 60 tonnes and 23 metres.

There is an intermediate step of 50 tonnes gross which allows access to all roads in New Zealand, while vehicles over 50 tonnes can only operate on permitted routes.

The max weight depends on axle spacing, and in practice the gross weights are lower, probably around 55 tonnes.

We are in the process of putting some units on the road with 9 axles at up to 58 tonnes.

We do not differentiate between normal goods and Dangerous goods for the increased sizes, but part of the increase in either weight or length is compliance with a series of safety additions, based around stability and braking largely.

There are regulations for Dangerous Goods vehicles which have to be met irrespective of the size of the vehicle.

These are largely common sense, and involve isolation requirements (for filling in DG spaces), window glass strength requirements, fire extinguisher requirements, exhaust controls, etc.

Our safety organisation is New Zealand Transport Agency, and some of their HPMV information can be found on the links below:
https://www.nzta.govt.nz/commercial-driving/high-productivity/high-productivity-motor-vehicles-and-hpmv-permits/

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/commercial-driving/high-productivity/hpmv-permit-questions-and-answers/

https://nzta.govt.nz/commercial-driving/high-productivity/pro-forma-designs-for-high-productivity-motor-vehicles/

Under our regulations any design can be approved if it satisfies the performance requirements in theory, but in practice there are a number of Pro-Forma designs which make compliance a much easier process.
These designs were  produced by engineers commissioned by NZTA, and some of whom are members of this group.

The introduction of HPMV vehicles has been successful in reducing the number of freight vehicles on the road.

I hope this helps.

regards,

Chris

Chris Carr