Found, a ( faded) snap

David Bircumshaw <[log in to unmask]>

Poetryetc: poetry and poetics

Thu, 10 May 2012 13:25:46 +0100

I first came across a reference to this about 5 years ago, when it was
described as having happened 'circa 1848'. My great-great-great
grandfather, on his own father's death: from the report to the Children's
Employment Commission, 1842:
*REPORT by J. M FELLOWS, Esq., on the*
*Employment of Children and Young*
*Persons in the Mines and Collieries of*
*Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire and on the*
*State, Condition and Treatment of such*
*Children and Young Persons.*

"No.70. Joseph Bircumshaw. He is 16 years old and now works at Shipley.
Last September twelve-month his father who was heading at the bottom of the
shaft at Loscoe, in order to get the hard coal, perceived men who were
working in the soft bank about 30 yards above him had fired the pit and
that the fire had run up the shaft. He, being a timid man, insisted upon
being drawn up before the shaft had got clear of sulphur, the consequence
was that he fell from the tub and died immediately he was got out of the
pit. Had he remained where he was a short time, he would have taken no harm.
(Signed) JOSEPH BIRCUMSHAW."I was pleased to notice that he signed it (many
of them couldn't)

--
David Joseph Bircumshaw
"We are shallow, mababaw ang kaligayahan."