Help for PHD-DESIGN Archives

PHD-DESIGN Archives

PHD-DESIGN@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

PHD-DESIGN Home

PHD-DESIGN  April 2008

PHD-DESIGN April 2008

Research student publishing -- Repost from 28 April 2007

Ken Friedman <[log in to unmask]>

Ken Friedman <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 3 Apr 2008 10:25:10 +0200

Friends,

Following my post, Oguzhan raised a relevant
point. His comment and my reply follow.

Ken

--

Oguzhan Ozcan wrote:

ENQUA and ERASMUS says all of research activities
must be ¨high qualty international disseminated¨.
and all EU idea is develop rules until 2010  to
compute with  north american research
dissemination

Therefore there is no certain rule. But  Turkish
Authority  look at all these and  interpret
  PhD research must need to be published in
indexed journal. For instance  Illinois Institute
of Technology, Institute of Design requires
1 intentional quality conference paper  before
qualification exam, high quality 2 journal
published article before submission of PhD.

Looking at this example, Turkish Authority looks
at these Research University and ask us what we
must do in design research.

Therefore my original question what is your
process.... What other Countries thinks  what
other European University develops what rules.

There is no argument if design research need
publication. The time is now to decide  how many
publication and what is the quality level as
looking at North American University until 2010

--

Ken Friedman answered:

Dear Oguzhan,

Thank you for the clarification. I will answer
all the remaining questions over the next few
days.

There is one issue I can answer now --

In my long post, I described the challenges of
publishing that doctoral students will face,
especially if they work in a second language. I
think the policy is foolish, but I am not arguing
against the policy. I am not a Bologna delegate,
an education minister, or even a rector or dean,
so I am not in a position to argue. A policy is a
policy. In itself, the policy would not be bad IF
students got the supervision, training, and
experience they need to meet this criterion. In
most programs, European doctoral students do not
get the training they need. In design, the
problem is worse for reasons I will explain.

I understand the fact that many governments and
universities seem to be implementing this policy.
Therefore, my caution -- my argument, if you will
-- is with the design schools rather than with
the policy.

If doctoral students in design are to meet the
new standard that you warn us about, we must
teach them how to write and publish to journal
standards. If we do not, they will not pass the
review process at any good journal, they will not
publish, and they will not graduate.

For reasons I will explain in my detailed
response, we will have a difficult time setting
up a new and different set of metrics to all
other metrics in all other fields. This is
particularly the case because many design
research fields ARE also designated under other
names with strong journal traditions, and because
many design research scholars publish in several
fields.

We cannot expect doctoral students to do what we
cannot do, and we cannot expect them master
skills that our program do not teach.

A school that treats this new requirement without
the solid commitment and preparation that student
publishing requires will find that this new
system generates difficulties for the students.
It will finally damage the school.

Schools that take the requirement seriously can
use it to make serious advances and improvements.
This will happen if and only if they give
students the skills, training, and support they
need to meet the new requirement.

In a day or so, I will post a series of notes
that answer your original question with some
discussions of how and why. I will also answer
some of the questions that have emerged during
the past week or so, partly based on my own
experience teaching doctoral students and younger
faculty how to write and how to publish.

Yours,

Ken

--

Ken Friedman