Help for PHD-DESIGN Archives

PHD-DESIGN Archives

PHD-DESIGN@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

PHD-DESIGN Home

PHD-DESIGN  July 2012

PHD-DESIGN July 2012

Call for Papers: Affecting Deleuze A Conference on the Ethics of Gilles Deleuze

Aukje Thomassen <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 10 Jul 2012 21:27:50 +0000

***Apologies for cross posting ***

CALL FOR PAPERS: Affecting Deleuze

A Conference on the Ethics of Gilles Deleuze 18-20 October 2012
The University of Auckland Auckland
New Zealand

I would say that Anti-Oedipus (may its authors forgive me) is a book of ethics, the first book of ethics to be written in France in quite a long time. ... The Christian moralists sought out traces of the flesh lodged deep in the soul. Deleuze and Guattari, for their part, pursue the slightest traces of fascism in the body.

Michel Foucault, Preface to Anti-Oedipus.

This requirement persists in [Spinoza’s] Ethics, albeit understood in a new way. In neither case can it suffice to say that truth is simply present in ideas. We must go on to ask what is it that is present in a true idea. What expresses itself in a true idea? What does it express?

Gilles Deleuze, Expressionism in Spinoza.

What is that peculiar insistence on ethics that Foucault glimpsed early on? And is it at all engaged with the complications Deleuze makes with Spinoza and Leibniz — a curious ethics expressed in active affectivity of joyous passions contrasted with the passivity of sad passions?: “Most men remain, most of the time, fixated by sad passions which cut them off from their essence and reduce it to the state of an abstraction” (E in S, p. 320). Would we want to say that the sad passions that for the most part afflict most men are the micro-fascisms by which we coerce each other, reducing each to a state of abstraction? How is ‘ethics’ complicated by Deleuze? When we read Deleuze and apply his thinking in myriad fields how do we keep a Deleuzian ethics in sight? How does Deleuze not become a state of abstraction or theoretical strata, cause of its own fascisms?

Affecting Deleuze is a three-day conference that aims to focus on the practical philosophy of Gilles Deleuze, and on practices that engage the philosophy of Deleuze. We aim for papers that foreground a questioning of Deleuzian ‘ethics’ in relation to a thinking that might otherwise approach Deleuze as method or procedure in practical, or one might say, creative assemblages. How would ‘ethics’ differentiate itself from a politics and, more acutely, from a theory of the ethical?

KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
Although we are waiting to hear from several invited speakers, confirmed speakers include

Steven Shivaro, Wayne State University, U.S.A.
Ian Buchannan, University of Wollongong, Australia Stephen Zepke, Independent Scholar, Vienna, Austria Jan Jagodzinski, University of Alberta, Canada
Rex Butler, University of Queensland, Australia

We are calling for

Individual paper presentations — 20-minute papers/10-minute question time. We will thematically group papers for 90-minute sessions Or

Panel/group presentations — 90 minutes organized according to your own inventiveness

Abstracts (250-300 words individual / up to 700 words for panel) will be blind reviewed

Abstract submission no later than Friday 24th August Some possible themes to consider for a focus on Deleuze’s ethics

Deleuze’s Foucault: Power, knowledge, self
Ethics and the outside of thought (Deleuze and Blanchot) Ideas of Reason (Kant and Deleuze)
Aesthetics and Ethics: Expression and affects
Deleuze with Guattari: Thinking a new earth
Spinoza’s multitudes: Negri and Deleuze

And with respect to a focus on working with Deleuze:

Space, design and ethics
The image of thought: affectivity and percepts Sensations and matter: Bergson and freedom Ethics and the post-cinematic
Societies of Control

KEY DATES

Abstract submission no later than Friday24th August
Notification of acceptance by Monday 3rd September
Conference early registration opens Monday 10th September
Conference commences Thursday 18th October at 5.30p.m (opening key note and reception) Conference concludes Saturday 20th October with conference dinner

Conference venue will be at the University of Auckland (venue details to be confirmed)

Registration rates

Full Registration NZ$130,00
Early Bird Registration (10th to 30th September) NZ$100,00
Student Rate NZ$  65,00
Early Bird Student (10th to 30th September) NZ$ 50,00
Conference dinner rate to be advised
(Credit card and other payment option details to be confirmed)

Send Abstracts or any enquiries to

Associate Professor Laurence Simmons (University of Auckland) [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> & Associate Professor Mark Jackson (AUT University) [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Dr. Aukje Thomassen
Associate Head of School Research
Associate Professor

School of Art + Design : Faculty of Design + Creative Technologies
AUT Auckland University of Technology
room we 330
27 st paul st
private bag 92006