OER-DISCUSS@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

OER-DISCUSS Home

OER-DISCUSS  May 2012

OER-DISCUSS May 2012

workshop at Dev8ed

Adam Hyde <[log in to unmask]>

Open Educational Resources <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 17 May 2012 12:02:29 +0200

Hi,

Just a quick email to say Im looking forward to Dev8ed and will be
present to talk about online collaborative textbook production.

I'll present a lightening talk in the morning on Tuesday and then
Tuesday afternoon from 13.30 - 14.30 I will host a workshop looking at
the open source project Booktype - what it does, the use cases and
infrastructure. As such it will be useful to both developers and those
wanting to use the system to produce open textbooks. We have quite
some success with open textbook production since our launch in
February and have solved some big ticket OER issues like content
federation, bi-directional text output, and inputting and rendering
complex equations in books. So if you have any needs in this area then
the workshop might be interesting for you.

Booktype also has a renderer that is a separate code base and
generates book formatted pdf, epub, mobi, odt, templated html etc -
this could also be useful to other open source projects so I'm very
happy to talk about possible collaborations on this or highlight how
it might be useful for your own work.

I'm especially interested in talking to anyone about collaborating on
related projects or collaborating on the dev of Booktype or the
renderer (Objavi). We are looking to build a consortium of OER
projects to develop Booktype to meet the needs of orgs needing to
produce textbooks using Booktype so if anyone would like to discuss
this I would be very happy to buy the first coffee ;)

http://www.booktype.pro
https://github.com/sourcefabric/Booktype

adam
mobile :+ 49 177 4935122