To view this newsletter in a browser, visit:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=NRICH-SUPPORT;63cbc4cb.1601p

To ensure that this newsletter is delivered to your inbox, add

NRICH monthly newsletter: January 2016
Enriching mathematics
Logo

In this Newsletter:

Latest Primary Features on NRICH

Latest Secondary Features on NRICH

Professional Development for Primary Maths Subject Leaders

Young Mathematicians' Award 2015

Maths of Paper Folding Workshops

Mastery

Hello Everyone!

The IMPULS programme

Contact Details

Subscription Details

Hello Everyone!

A very Happy New Year to you all.

Welcome to our latest NRICH newsletter. This is a very special year for NRICH, in 2016 we will celebrate our 20th anniversary. Watch this space!

We hope that you, and your classes, enjoy our very latest NRICH resources which are highlighted in this newsletter. And, we're really looking forward to receiving solutions from your classes too. We'll publish some of the best solutions on NRICH. For the activities in this newsletter, we will welcome solutions up to and including Friday 12th February. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Very best wishes for 2016

Ems Lord
Director of NRICH

The IMPULS programme

Are you interested in learning more about lesson study at first hand? The IMPULS programme offers teachers the opportunity to apply for funded places to visit Japan and observe lesson study sessions for yourself. If you are interested, you will need to complete both the IMPULS application form and supplementary UK form too. The scheme is funded by the Japanese government but successful delegates will be expected to pay their travel and, in some cases, their accommodation too. Further information can be found here.

Latest Primary Features on NRICH

Image

Have you seen our latest feature for primary teachers, Puzzling with Paper? In it, we bring together a range of paper-folding tasks, which offer opportunities for mathematical exploration. The article, Purposeful Paper Folding, outlines how paper folding can help learners to deepen their understanding of geometry, to become more fluent with mathematical language, to persevere and become more curious about something they see. Start your new year of mathematics with our engaging, challenging and rewarding paper-folding tasks!

You may be interested to know that we also offer practical workshops which focus on the mathematics of origami and paper folding. These workshops, led by Fran Watson, can be tailored for learners from 5 to 16 years of age. For further details, see the MMP website and the section below.

Latest Secondary Features on NRICH

Image

Our new feature for Secondary teachers, "Probability - it’s deadly serious!”, is now live. We invite students to consider some scenarios, based on real life events, where interpreting probabilities incorrectly can have serious consequences.

Did your students submit solutions to “Should I Risk It?”. They are now available to view on our Recently Solved page.

Our latest feature for Upper Secondary students, “Powerful Logs", invites students to explore the speed of exponential growth, and practise working with logarithms.

Professional Development for Primary Maths Subject Leaders

Image

Supporting children to be great at reasoning
Thursday 28 January, 2016 in London (Re-run of 10 June 2015)

Back by popular demand! There are still some places available on this one-day event for primary maths subject leaders, which is a repeat of an event run in the summer term. The day will look at progression in reasoning and the element of proof in some depth. For more details and links to the booking form, see the NRICH website. If you are unable to make the day, do take a look at our Reasoning Feature which will support you in developing children's reasoning skills.

Mastering mathematics and problem solving
Wednesday 2 March, 2016 in London (Re-run of 19 November 2015)

Booking now open! If you were disappointed not to secure a place on our 'mastering mathematics' event in November, you'll be delighted to know that this repeat date has been confirmed. The day will look at how problem solving supports learners to master mathematics and what it indeed means to master mathematics. Ideas around digging deeper using the same curriculum content will be explored and the place of proof in this process examined. More details and a link to the booking form are available on the NRICH website.

Young Mathematicians' Award 2015

Image

Congratulations to Badger Hill Primary School in York who won the Young Mathematicians' Award 2015!

NRICH works together with Explore Learning to run the Young Mathematicians' Award each year. Teams of four primary children from schools across the UK take part in local events then five teams are chosen to come to NRICH headquarters in Cambridge for the final. At each stage of the competition, teams work on an NRICH task and are judged on two things: how well they use their problem-solving skills to think like mathematicians and how well they work as a team. If you would like to know more about the Young Mathematicians' Award and see some of the tasks from previous years' competitions, take a look at the feature here.

Maths of Paper Folding Workshops

The second week in December saw 120 13-year-olds excitedly piling into the Centre for Mathematical Sciences here in Cambridge. They had come to take part in an interactive workshop on problem solving through paper folding. The next hour and a half sped past and during that time many of them: helped someone else understand something they had worked out; recognised that being stuck felt awkward and challenging but managed not to give up and persevered to develop their 'mathematical fitness'; found answers/didn’t find answers and realised that both were just as useful; experienced a 'fist pump' moment when they’d solved a problem/figured out how to get un-stuck/completed a model. Everyone left with modular origami of different types, knowing that they could explore, puzzle and create further by visiting http://wild.maths.org/tags/modular-making for more inspiration. Find out more about our paper folding workshops here.

Paper folding isn’t just for Christmas, so why not try out some of the activities in our Puzzling with Paper feature http://nrich.maths.org/teacher-primary, as mentioned above, and send us pictures of your mathematical creations!

Mastery

There has been a lot of discussion recently within the mathematics education community about mastery and its meaning. At a round table event in December convened by the NCETM, we heard more about their definition and approach.

One of the things that excited us was the idea of a “dong nao jin” question each lesson – a challenging task that is given to all students to deepen their understanding of a concept.

There are lots of NRICH problems that would make ideal “dong nao jin” questions.

Check out the curriculum mapping documents for primary and secondary to pick tasks based on a specific topic.

There are also some short problems that would be suitable for secondary teachers who are interested in trying this approach. These can be found here.

Contact Details

Centre for Mathematical Sciences
Wilberforce Road
Cambridge
CB3 0WA

01223 761328
http://nrich.maths.org

You are subscribed to NRICH monthly newsletter. To unsubscribe, visit:
https://WWW.JISCMAIL.AC.UK/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=NRICH-SUPPORT&A=1