NEW-MEDIA-CURATING  November 2015

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING November 2015

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Ground Truth: 'The Migration Machine'

Marialaura Ghidini <[log in to unmask]>

Marialaura Ghidini <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 24 Nov 2015 22:26:34 +0530

text/plain

Hello List,

After an email exchange with Dani and Cecilia, I have decided to contribute to the discussion with a series of field reports from India, mainly Bangalore, where I am currently working. As a curator who has often worked with networked and online practices my approach to this month's discussion is to begin to unravel how my experiences here have shaped my assumptions, thinking, and the way I work.

In my field reports I will talk about two projects, the exhibition “The Chroma Show” and the book (and related residency) “Silicon Plateau Vol—1”, as well as my experience of teaching at Srishti Institute of Art and Technology and programming the activities of T.A.J. Residency & SKE Projects. Hopefully these experiences, all interwoven, will offer some insights into “how ‘technologies of migration’ instantiate themselves a new type of border, often geographically displaced and abstracted from our physical experiences of mobility”, as the hosts of the discussion have well put it.

FIELD REPORT 1: A RESEARCH PROJECT IN NEW DELHI AND THE REDUCTIONISM OF TECHNOLOGY-LED GLOBAL ASSUMPTIONS

In 2013, I—quite naively, with hindsight—came to India. I went to New Delhi to be precise, on a research grant to explore the history of artistic and curatorial web-based projects here. At the time I was affiliated to The Sarai programme at CSDS, and I was particularly interested in their Sarai Media Lab, who was co-funded by Raqs Media Collective. Unfortunately, I joined at a time where the Lab stopped to fully operate, so I embarked on a widely cast research process looking into ‘as many people I could find as possible’ who were related to the Lab’s past activities. (http://sarai.net/ + screenshot of the old website here http://www.fondation-langlois.org/html/e/media.php?NumObjet=55120)

To cut an intricate story short, I was confronted with what—as a European who had very rarely ventured outside the so-called Western world—was a fact already well-known in the South Asian context: the web might be both a medium of production and distribution but this does not mean that the two are in a reciprocal relationship.

Infrastructure and the socio-cultural context of given geographical areas do have an impact on the type of production and distribution. We have histories of technology, and they are a complex and non-universal affair. In Europe, I very much underestimated it: accessibility was different; hence, discourses had a different focus. In my experience in India publishing online was multimodal, but in the following sense: in and out of the web, and not because ‘we are post-internet’. Many web-based projects I came across were distributed on CD: the most viable way of accessing them, as HTML-based works presented on a physical and movable support. Under this umbrella, there were the “Global Village Health Manual” (2000) and “Ectropy Index” (2006) projects by Raqs Media Collective, to name a few. These works were not archived online at the time I was researching them and I was only able to access them thanks to artist and designer Mrityunjay Chatterjee. He was directly involved in their production as a member of the Sarai Media Lab, and the love for his work and patience made it possible for me to look at them while we were sipping coffee around a table.

I also came across the eclectic photographer and curator Shankar Barua, who ran the project “Indian Documentary of Electronic Arts” (IDEA). This was a series of “collectible CD e-zines” published for 4 years until 2004 with contributions by a variety of artists and writers in the form of essays, videos and sound works. I met Barua at CeC, the Carnival for e-Creativity, “just one tiny little stream in the whole global gamut of activities revolving variously around Creative & Experimental New Media”; basically a new media festival that in 2013 was hosted in an ashram in the mountains near New Delhi where we constantly fought with long power cuts and freezing temperatures. (http://retiary.org/idea/)

Other works that captured my attention were those by artist Kiran Subbaiah, many of which were presented on the now defunct GeoCities (http://www.geocities.ws/antikiran/) and by Prayas Abhinav who produced a project that began as a Facebook group to ‘end up’ in a gallery space in Delhi. (http://prayas.in/projects:glitch_forum)

As a conclusion of my research time at Sarai, I organised a professional development workshop, “Hybrid Curatorial Models: Producing and Publishing in-between offline and online dimensions” (2013), for which I invited Mrityunjay Chatterjee, Shankar Barua and Prayas Abhinav to speak about their experiences of working across online and offline platforms. Many young curators attended the workshop and the discussion was lively. What I remember very clearly is that the web was discussed by most of the attendees in relation to issues of visibilities and accessibilities and that the “in-between” I was pointing at was a misleading term in a geographical area where the internet entered the day-to-day life of people through mobile network connections rather than personal computers for example.

I then landed in Bangalore because of my desire to meet some of the artists I researched and my curiosity for the activities of the Centre for the Internet and Society and its Research at Work (RAW) programme. Their research is in fact “driven by contemporary concerns to understand the reconfiguration of social processes and structures through the internet and digital media technologies, and vice versa” (http://cis-india.org/raw), thinking that their approach would help me to understand the complexities inherent to the South Asian context. It is with this trip that my research/work affair with Bangalore began.

To finish this story, the social and geographical aspects I once overlooked started to complicate my research approach, becoming more interwoven with my thinking. Up to that point, my physical mobility had mostly brought to light the staticity of my thinking. Contexts, in a broader but much local sense and in terms of socio-cultural structures and infrastructures, and not just in relation to theoretical and artistic discourses per se, became necessary lenses for me to move forward.

My following Field Report will look at the exhibition "The Chroma Show" and some other first-hand experiences of Bangalore.

A side note on accessibility: “Your request URL has been blocked as per the directions received from the Department of Communication, Government of India. Please contact administrator for more information”, appeared on my computer screen, and that of my colleagues at Srishti, while trying to browse a few artist websites yesterday morning—and many other previous days. Perhaps, this is  another interesting element when looking at the humanist relationship to data and information that Dani and Cecilia are suggesting for this discussion.

Thank you for reading.
And looking forward to reading all the other contributors' posts!
Marialaura

Marialaura Ghidini
skype: mlghidini
http://marialaura-ghidini.hotglue.me