Help for MOODLE-UK Archives

MOODLE-UK Archives

MOODLE-UK@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

MOODLE-UK Home

MOODLE-UK  July 2012

MOODLE-UK July 2012

Re: Moodle sites and the new legislation regarding cookies 26 May

Charlie Williams <[log in to unmask]>

UK Moodle Users JISCMail list <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 10 Jul 2012 11:46:29 +0000

It looks like sites that will be using 3rd party services for tracking users for marketing and ad serving purposes are putting up similar messages.  For example, if you look at The Sun site (which serves cookies from quite a few 3rd party sites) it has a simple message like that on the Guardian.  There is an "Accept" button, but if you don't click that and continue browsing anyway then it considers that acceptance.

I'm presuming that certain newspapers will be using cookie data for more dubious marketing purposes than educational institutions, but if they feel they are covered by such disclaimers they have probably looked into the legality properly (and are also much more likely to be scrutinised by the ICO!).

If you go to the ICO website, they do not save any cookies on a users PC unless you specifically tick a box and accept them, but if they use a service such as Google analytics they won't get any data from visitors who don't tick that box.

Obviously this is not the definitive, legal answer, but it seems to be a common sense way that many big organisations are approaching it.

Cheers

Charlie Williams
eLearning Developer
Oaklands College - Unlock Your Potential
St Albans Smallford Campus, Hatfield Road, St Albans, Hertfordshire, AL4 0JA
Direct line:             01727 737358 (SMF) or 01727 737530 (WGC)
Switchboard:        01727 737 000
Website:                www.oaklands.ac.uk