Help for MOODLE-UK Archives

MOODLE-UK Archives

MOODLE-UK@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

MOODLE-UK Home

MOODLE-UK  May 2012

MOODLE-UK May 2012

Re: Moodle Site Growth Issue - Advice required !

Mari-Cruz Garcia <[log in to unmask]>

UK Moodle Users JISCMail list <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 21 May 2012 11:53:51 +0000

Hello Frank,

Your problem is more common that you think , in particular in colleges/schools with Media studies in which the Moodle sites have been growing organically without any proper  'planning'. I had to face a similar situation in the past.

The approach that I would use it:
1) Solving this problem in short/middle term
2) Avoiding this problem in long term. For that, I would start using embedded video and music sites, instead of asking students to upload their multimedia assignments. That is a bad practice that can easily collapse a large site.
In our case, we are using Vimeo for uploading all our videos , which are just embedded in Moodle.
I have also set up a policy of maximum file size, which also includes the students' personal files block.

I am just curious: have you checked if your students are not using that Moodle feature to avoid bringing a memory stick to class?

1) In Moodle 1.9, I wrote a script that deleted inactive users for a certain amount of time, but I think that somebody discovered a bug in the script.
When you delete a user manually, the user still remains in the database and I am not sure if the student' s work is completely deleted.

Once the assignment is submitted, can you not download all the submitted files as 'zip' (not sure if Moodle 1.9 has that features), keep a copy of them in a different server, and delete the submitted files in Moodle?

Regards

Mari Cruz García
Educational technologist, The Learning Zone/ KSeHIN Education Programme
M.Sc Diabetes Care and Education
DUCU Representative for the Medical Research Institute
University of Dundee
Office: +44(0)1382 740701