Re: Non-ferrous metals statistics

Phil Newman <[log in to unmask]>

The mining-history list.

Wed, 6 Jun 2012 16:12:21 +0100

Peter,

Much of the non-ferrous information is covered by Chris Schmitz (1974)
'World Non-Ferrous metal production and prices, 1700-1976' (Frank Cass:
London), or are these different stats that you're after?

Phil Newman

On 6 June 2012 11:56, Peter King <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I have been approached to produce the metals section of a revision of B.R.
> Mitchell, British Historical Statistics.  I am (I hope) competent to
> produce
> the material on the iron industry, but I am on less familiar ground in
> dealing with non-ferrous metals.   The editors are having difficulty in
> identifying anyone who can deal with them.  I have said that in principle I
> will do this if no one else can be found, but feel that there may be some
> one on one of these lists who knows a lot more than me and would either
> like
> to tackle the non-ferrous statistics or collaborate with me on them.  The
> editors are not looking for primary research to be undertaken.  The
> objective is to provide a short introduction, followed by statistical
> tables.
>

> Obviously, the starting point is the Mineral Statistics, which start in
> 1845, and later sources.  There is a good series of tin from the coinage
> records, but what is published in Mitchell stops in 1837, though I presume
> the gap should be bridgeable.  However, copper and lead before 1845 are
> clearly going to be difficult.  It may be that the information available is
> so poor that there is little that is worth publishing.
>

> Essentially I am looking for a volunteer.  No payment is offered, so that
> this is on a pro bono basis.  I suspect that the similarity of the sources
> (from the mid-19th century) will mean that collaboration will be better
> than
> working separately.  I would suggest that replies to this should be sent to
> me off-list (address below).  I will be passing them on to the editor.
> However, this will not be until at least 10 days hence.
>

> Dr Peter King
>
> 49, Stourbridge Road,
>
> Hagley
>
> Stourbridge
>
> West Midlands
>
> DY9 0QS

> 01562-720368
>

> If you need to leave the list, send the following message to
>
> leave mining-history
> ---------

If you need to leave the list, send the following message to [log in to unmask] -

leave mining-history
---------