Help for MEDIEVAL-RELIGION Archives

MEDIEVAL-RELIGION Archives

MEDIEVAL-RELIGION@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

MEDIEVAL-RELIGION Home

MEDIEVAL-RELIGION  February 2012

MEDIEVAL-RELIGION February 2012

Re: bibliography on the efficacy of prayer

Dr Jim Bugslag <[log in to unmask]>

medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 8 Feb 2012 10:51:32 -0600

The actual liturgical process through which these tunics went, though, is

> only vaguely known.  There is some indication that tunics were laid on the
> reliquary...but when this practice started is unknown.... Substantial evidence
> for this practice only begins to emerge during the 14th century, although
> there are a couple of examples included in the late 12th-century miracle
> collection written at Chartres, and repeated in the French verse translation
> of the mid-13th century written by Jean le Marchant.  And writing at the
> beginning of the 17th century, Sebastian Roulliard claims that Richard the
> Lionheart wore a "chemise de Chartres" during the Third Crusade.
>

> surely we may assume that Dick LH didn't just pick his up, along with a few
> postcards, at the stall in the north tower. (is Rouillard our only source for
> this factoid, btw?)

Christopher,
Rouillard claims to base his account of the miracles of Notre-Dame de
Chartres on Jean le Marchant's verse translation of the late
12th-century Latin miracle collection from Chartres, but for the miracle
in question, which concerns an English clerk, this detail is not
included in either of the earlier sources.  There are problems with all
the sources, in fact.  All three accounts mention a tour of unspecified
Chartres relics through England, during which Richard the Lionheart
carried the reliquary.  I know of no other documentation for such a
relic tour during the late 12th century, but if Richard did carry the
reliquary, the tunic he was wearing at the time might have been judged a
contact relic.  But if the relic tour was in relation to the rebuilding
of the cathedral after the fire of 1194, that would seem to be a bit
late for him to wear it on crusade.  And I have found no information on
possible visits that Richard might have made to Chartres before going on
Crusade.  I'm still trying to make sense of all this.
Cheers,
Jim

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]