Screening Sexual Violence

Darren Kerr <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 4 Jul 2018 18:25:00 +0100

Dear Colleagues,

For those interested:

screeningsex.com - Call for Contributions: Screening Sexual Violence

The BBFC are currently in the process of consulting with the public about film classification guidelines in order to review those previously published in 2014 and issue new guidelines in early 2019. In his recent keynote address at the annual 'How safe are our children?' NSPCC conference, BBFC director David Austin shared some initial results of the current consultation and suggested that the revised guidelines would likely become stricter in order to reflect the increased public concern about scenes of rape and sexual violence.

We are seeking short (1000-2000 words) articles, interviews, discussions, video essays or other content - for Aug 1st - that address the politics of sexual violence as it relates to the screen and screen cultures in the current social, political and cultural climate.

We are also looking for people willing to respond to the new BBFC report once published.

For more information or any questions do contact us, join our network and take a look at the range of work on the blog.

best,
Darren Kerr and Dr. Donna Peberdy

l  screeningsex.com  l  [log in to unmask]  l  @screeningsex  l

Screening Sex is an academic blog that publishes short research articles, interviews, book extracts and reviews related to sex on screen and sexual cultures. With an international network of over fifty members and having recently become a BAFTSS SIG we continue to encourage a broad range of critical, contextual and cultural methodologies to sex on screen, drawing on cross-disciplinary and inter-disciplinary research as well as encouraging intersectional observations and approaches. Alongside analytical considerations of representational strategies, we also welcome work that examines the approaches and changes encountered in industry practice, production techniques, as well as changing modes of exhibition and new strategies of distribution. We would also like to engage with and support the work of creative practitioners, visual artists and filmmakers exploring sex on screen in various styles, forms and approaches.