Help for MCG Archives

MCG Archives

MCG@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

MCG Home

MCG  October 2017

MCG October 2017

Yale University Library joins the Open Preservation Foundation

Becky McGuinnness <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 5 Oct 2017 13:36:17 +0100

The Open Preservation Foundation welcomes Yale University Library as its newest member.

Yale University Library (YUL) is a leading academic research library that supports the mission of Yale University. Its astonishing collections range from ancient papyri and early printed books to digital collections and electronic databases using many formats including text, photographs, video, audio, data, maps, and ephemera.

Yale University’s mission statement emphasises digital preservation both for today and future generations. To support their digital information collection which is over 1 petabyte and growing, YUL are working with OPF tools and developing and implementing world-leading digital preservation tools and services. YUL intend to have scalable, extensible, dependable, robust, and sustainable systems and infrastructure to support their mission.

Euan Cochrane, Digital Preservation Manager at YUL, said:
“We believe in the mission of the OPF and are excited to collaborate with other OPF members on the numerous worthy endeavors the Foundation supports. In particular, we have already begun working with the OPF on developing a digital preservation metadata portal that makes use of the open Wikidata.org database to share metadata about file formats, software, computer hardware and the relationships between them all. In addition, we make use of many of the tools the OPF supports and are pleased to be able to materially contribute to their ongoing stewardship. The OPF community provides an unsurpassed source of expertise, knowledge and experience in digital preservation and we are excited to be a contributing member to it.”

Martin Wrigley, Executive Director of OPF, said:
“We are delighted to welcome Yale University Library to the OPF, and particularly extending our membership numbers in the United States. We share the goals of delivering reliable and sustainable digital preservation tools and enhanced knowledge and best practice in the field. YUL are a highly active contributor to the digital preservation community and we look forward to working more closely with them.”
Yale University Library joins our members from archives, libraries, research institutions, universities, and service providers collaborating on shared solutions for effective and efficient digital preservation.

For more information about Yale University Library visit: http://web.library.yale.edu/.

To find out more about the benefits of becoming an OPF member and how to join visit: http://openpreservation.org/about/join/. Yale University Library joins the Open Preservation Foundation through our collaboration with the BitCurator Consortium. Together we are offering a discount membership trial throughout 2017: http://openpreservation.org/about/join/membership/bcc-trial-membership/.

Kind Regards,

Becky McGuinness | Community Manager
Open Preservation Foundation | http://openpreservation.org/
@openpreserve