LIS-UKBIBS Archives

LIS-UKBIBS@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

LIS-UKBIBS Home

LIS-UKBIBS  1999

LIS-UKBIBS 1999

Re: USMARC

"Sally H. McCallum" <[log in to unmask]>

Sally H. McCallum

Fri, 02 Jul 1999 11:06:30 -0400

Paul Reynolds-

MARC 21 (formerly USMARC!) generally focusses on the content rather than
the carrier (as far as is practical) in the LDR/06.  Probably most CDROM
data is actually textual so coded a, although it could be, for example, a
numeric database and be coded m.  An e-journal would, in most cases, be
coded a, although it could be a map serial and be coded as cartographic.

You are not the first with questions about this and we are all still
probing m and  not-m.  You might take at look a couple of documents on the
topic:

http://www.loc.gov/marc/ldr06guide.html
http://www.oclc.org/oclc/cataloging/type.htm

The loc document is intended to be added to as special questions, cases and
examples are put forward.

Sally McCallum

At 12:56 PM 7/2/1999 +0100, you wrote:
>We are on the point of moving from UKMARC to USMARC. Could someone clarify,
>please,  how CDROMs and ejournals ought to be coded in USMARC Leader
>position 06 (type of record). Is it regarded as best practice to treat them
>as type a (language materials) or type m (computer files).
>
>Paul Reynolds

Sally H. McCallum, Chief, Network Development and
MARC Standards Office, Library of Congress
Washington, DC 20540   USA
[log in to unmask]    (Fax: 1-202-707 0115) (Voice: 1-202-707 5119)