Help for LIS-RESEARCHSUPPORT Archives

LIS-RESEARCHSUPPORT Archives

LIS-RESEARCHSUPPORT@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

LIS-RESEARCHSUPPORT Home

LIS-RESEARCHSUPPORT  April 2012

LIS-RESEARCHSUPPORT April 2012

Re: journals that permit/promote open access data to support published articles

Simon HODSON <[log in to unmask]>

Simon HODSON <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 5 Apr 2012 16:23:29 +0100

Hi Marion,

Apologies not to have replied to this sooner.

You may be interested to know that JISC intends to fund a project to scope a Service to Collate and Summarise Journal Research Data Policies - see Appendix A2 of the recently closed Grant Funding Call for details: http://www.jisc.ac.uk/fundingopportunities/funding_calls/2012/01/0112%20DI.aspx

From the Call:

> Policies of journal editorial boards requiring the deposit and appropriate sharing of research data that constitutes the research record and underpins the conclusions drawn in scholarly articles are particularly welcome as it seems likely that they are designed by researchers who sit on such boards for their peers and thus may be seen as constituting an important element of the social contract of research.41	Therefore, it is reasonable to surmise that journal research data policies will exercise a transforming influence upon researcher practice towards the greater sharing and reuse of publicly funded research data. Indeed, evidence is emerging that journal data policies are one of the most important drivers of data archiving behaviour.

> See Piwowar HA (2011) Who Shares? Who Doesn't? Factors Associated with Openly Archiving Raw Research Data. PLoS ONE 6(7): e18657; doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0018657

> Existing initiatives to provide overviews of journal policies on research data have been the work of individuals or small groups and, although extremely welcome and useful, they have hitherto been piecemeal, unsystematic and unlikely to be maintained.

> See for example the preliminary list provided by the Open Access Directory at http://oad.simmons.edu/oadwiki/Journal_open-data_policies. Heather Piwowar has provided information on some journal policies as part of a Dryad data package Piwowar HA (2011) Data from: Who shares? Who doesn‟t? Factors associated with openly archiving raw research data. Dryad Digital Repository. doi:10.5061/dryad.mf1sd ; Larry King links to a number of journal policies at http://gking.harvard.edu/pages/data-sharing-and-replication

Best wishes,

Simon.

*****
Programme Website: http://bit.ly/jiscmrd2011-13
Community Discussion List: [log in to unmask]
Blog: http://researchdata.jiscinvolve.org/
Programme Tag: #jiscmrd
*****
Twitter, Skype: simonhodson99
Calendar: http://bit.ly/simonhodson99-calendar
*****
Dr Simon HODSON
Programme Manager – Managing Research Data
JISC Executive
Brettenham House (South Entrance)
5 Lancaster Place
London  WC2E 7EN