LIS Research Linking System prototype

"Ilievska, Maja" <[log in to unmask]>

Ilievska, Maja

Mon, 2 Jul 2012 12:26:05 +0100

**With apologies for cross-posting**

Dear all,

I am working on a project that aims to support LIS practitioners in accessing resources that will help them improve their practice. You can read about my project here: http://lisresearch.org/2012/06/23/lis-research-linking-system-prototype/

In short, I am hoping to build a prototype system that will serve as a central community-maintained access point to link to useful information about LIS practitioner research work and other “small” projects.

I am particularly interested in how my system might capture discussions that take place on JISC mailing lists such as this one where someone (1) posts a question to a mailing list; (2) gathers data from others who offer their opinions, expertise, and stories of their own experience of the matter in question; (3) analyses the data gathered; then (4) (sometimes, but not always) posts a summary of the findings to the list. As an example I could give is this message posted by Matt Holland to LIS-INFOSKILLS and LIS-RESEARCH SUPPORT  https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=lis-infoliteracy;a176f647.02, and the summary given at https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=lis-infoliteracy;b1d593f7.02
The blog posting at http://lisresearch.org/2012/06/23/lis-research-linking-system-prototype/ explains my approach to the project. I would like to ask list members for feedback on my approach. So if anyone can share ideas about (1) possible platforms for my system or (2) resources to which it should point, I would be most grateful.

This work is part of my internship with Professor Hazel Hall at Edinburgh Napier University, where I am helping on projects related to the LIS Research Coalition, including DREaM (Developing Research Excellence and Methods: http://lisresearch.org/dream-project/) and RiLIES (Research in Librarianship Impact Evaluation Study: http://lisresearch.org/rilies-project/) .

I will collate the feedback to my questions here and provide a summary to the list. I will also be posting more on this project soon on the LIS Research Coalition web site.

Many thanks
Maja Ilievska

Maja Ilievska
Intern- Centre for Social Informatics
Institute for Informatics and Digital Innovation
Edinburgh Napier University
10 Colinton Road
Edinburgh EH10 5DT
Edinburgh Napier University is one of Scotland's top universities for graduate employability.  93.2% of graduates are in work or further study within six months of leaving. The university is also proud winner of the Queen's Anniversary Prize for Higher and Further Education 2009, awarded for innovative housing construction for environmental benefit and quality of life.

This message is intended for the addressee(s) only
and should not be read, copied or disclosed to anyone else outwith the University without the permission of the sender. It is your responsibility to ensure that this message and any attachments are scanned for viruses or other defects.
Edinburgh Napier University does not accept liability for any loss or
damage which may result from this email or any attachment, or for errors or omissions arising after it was sent. Email is not a secure medium. Email entering the University's system is subject to routine monitoring and filtering by the University.

Edinburgh Napier University is a registered Scottish
charity.
Registration number SC018373