Help for LIS-LINK Archives

LIS-LINK Archives

LIS-LINK@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

LIS-LINK Home

LIS-LINK  April 2011

LIS-LINK April 2011

ALPSP Seminar: Making Sense of Social Media, 24 June - London UK

Diane French <[log in to unmask]>

Diane French <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 1 Apr 2011 16:06:52 +0100

Apologies for cross-posting

Social media is here to stay. It's changed the rules of how target markets
interact with our brands and publications and opened up numerous channels
for how people search and interact with our content. Unsettling isn't it?

ALPSP Seminar

Making Sense of Social Media

Thursday 23 June 2011 (1000-1630)

British Institute of Radiology, 36 Portland Place, London, W1B 1AT

Chair: Katie Sayers, SAGE Publications

 "I have a Facebook group for Twitter users that Tweet about podcasters that
talk to marketing bloggers"

As publishers and societies we need to adapt to how we market (and publish!)
our products. Gone are the days when an email and print brochure would be a
complete marketing campaign and hosting one website was enough for our
customers and communities. A simple search on Google shows that whilst our
communications and channels are returned in the first page of search results
so are numerous other comments and thoughts...none of them ours. Yet, social
media offers us huge opportunities and having a social media strategy for
your business is critical to staying ahead of the competition. We have
direct access to our market and their instant opinions, low-cost ways of
engaging with people outside of our traditional reach and new ways to
support our core markets.

This seminar will showcase examples of how publishers have used social media
to support core business objectives including adapting their working
practices, developing metrics to analyse the results and examples within the
mobile space.

Who should attend: Marketing and PR professionals, from scholarly publishers
of all sizes and types who are involved in managing/responsible for their
company's social media strategy.

Sessions include:

Social Media objectives and strategy and closing the loop

Davina Quarterman, Wiley-Blackwell

Social media integration: Building multi-channel hub presence.

Lizzie Shannon-Little and Caite Panzer, Oxford University Press

Creaing a community around content.

Mithu Lucraft, SAGE Publications

Measuring the Progress of Societies: Wikiprogress, a way forward for
collaboration

Angela Costrini Hariche, OECD

Making use of QR Codes: Connecting to the Mobile User

Alan Compton, Taylor & Francis

Creating iPhone apps for delivering and sharing content

Jackie King, Institute of Physics

Social media and reputation management: challenges and opportunities

Grace Baynes, Nature Publishing Group

Measuring and evaluating social media
Matt McKay, BioMed Central

Book or further information here
<http://www.alpsp.org/ngen_public/article.asp?aid=343651>  or contact Dee
French - [log in to unmask] or phone 01827 709188

Diane French

Event & Database Administrator
The Association of Learned and Professional Society Publishers (ALPSP)

Please visit our website at: http://www.alpsp.org <http://www.alpsp.org/>

Other ALPSP Seminars

 <http://www.alpsp.org/ngen_public/article.asp?aid=341706> PA-ALPSP Journal
Publishers' Forum: Open access: the next ten years - 31 March 2011

 <http://www.alpsp.org/ngen_public/article.asp?aid=338531> Publishers and
Library Consortia: changing expectations - 7 April 2011

 <http://www.alpsp.org/ngen_public/article.asp?aid=342192> Marketing by
Numbers: intelligent journals marketing in the 21st century - 26 May 2011

 <http://www.alpspconference.org/> ALPSP International Conference 2011 - 14
- 16 September 2011

ALPSP is a Company limited by guarantee and incorporated in England and
Wales Registration no: 4081634.
Registered Office: 1-3 Ship Street, Shoreham-by-Sea, West Sussex, BN43 5DH,
UK