Help for LIS-ILL Archives

LIS-ILL Archives

LIS-ILL@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

LIS-ILL Home

LIS-ILL  August 2018

LIS-ILL August 2018

Quick questions about your Interlibrary Loan and Book purchase processes

Helen Hall <[log in to unmask]>

Helen Hall <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 3 Aug 2018 10:32:35 +0100

Dear colleagues,

I wonder if I could ask for 5 minutes or so of your time? At the University of Liverpool, if our staff and students find we do not have a book they require in our collections they can request a book purchase for the library or alternatively apply via interlibrary loan. In practice though, because the work is done by 2 separate teams, we often find further down the line that that our staff and students have applied via both routes. We are currently reviewing this process and I’d like to know if anyone has moved to a single point of request?

If you have:

Do you charge for your interlibrary loan requests or provide a free quota of requests?
Have you maintained these ILL charges or did you need to abolish them when you moved to a single point of request?
Who reviews the requests and decides whether they should be processed as an ILL or a book order?
When your users place a request how do you inform them that their request has been processed as a purchase or ILL?
We charge alumni and non-members at a higher rate for ILL requests, if you have a single point of request how do you treat requests placed by alumni, non-members etc? Would you consider a purchase or adopt a policy for certain categories of users that the request would always be treated as an interlibrary loan?
Do you have separate ILL and acquisitions teams?
Did you need to merge the teams when you introduced a single point of request?
How are the finances managed in your system? Are the book purchase and ILL funds kept separate?
What have you found to be the pros and cons of moving to a single point of request?

Absolutely any information and help you can provide would be much appreciated.

Regards
Helen Hall
Please reply to: [log in to unmask]

Interlibrary Loans | Harold Cohen Library| University of Liverpool | Ashton Street | PO Box 123 | Liverpool L69 3DA | United Kingdom
[log in to unmask] | Tel: +44 (0) 151 794 5414

Follow us: @LivUniLibrary Like us: LivUniLibrary Visit us: http://www.liv.ac.uk/library
Special Collections & Archives blog: http://manuscriptsandmore.liv.ac.uk
Victoria Gallery and Museum http://vgm.liverpool.ac.uk
Garstang Museum https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/garstang-museum