LIB-RFID-UK@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

LIB-RFID-UK Home

LIB-RFID-UK  February 2012

LIB-RFID-UK February 2012

Re: Self Service and A/V items

Sue Valentine <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion List for RFID in Libraries <[log in to unmask]>, Sue Valentine <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 13 Feb 2012 16:09:34 +0000

Hi
In Herts we have self service kiosks in all 47 libraries. We have security systems in the largest 28 libraries. All the AV is on the open shelves with CDs and DVDs in locked cases. The RFID tag is on the case, so that the cases can be reused when the item of stock is withdrawn. The public issue the items on the self service kiosk and pay any charges due. Once the item is issued and the security turned off by the kiosk the borrower can pass through the security gates and unlock the case themselves using an unlocker which is mounted on the wall the other side of the security gates. Smaller libraries who don't have security systems do exactly the same thing, but obviously there is no alarm to go off if the item has not been properly issued.

This is all very simple and worked very well for the first year or so that we were live. Not so groovy now as thieves worked out that if you held the cases in a certain way, or put them inside a foil lined bag, you could get them through the security systems without the alarm going off. We started to lose large numbers of our blu ray discs and newer DVD titles. We also noticed that in some libraries Disney films that you can't buy were also going. Thieves started to work their way systematically around the county. We have worked with our RFID supplier and they have tried to develop a better tag that can't be disabled in this way. Whilst they have improved them they have reached the limit of what they can do and can't compete with the foil lined bag. We have therefore, very reluctantly, taken the decision to remove the discs from the blu rays, new big title DVDs and classic Disneys, so that customers have to see a member of staff to have the item issued and the disc put in. This is a huge retrograde step but we could think of no other option. However, all the remaining AV still goes through the kiosks and works well.

All AV items are flagged so that when they are returned they go into the exceptions bin so that staff check the correct discs are inside and relock the cases before putting them back on the open shelves. We can therefore be confident that items are all complete when they are borrowed.

Hope this helps

Sue Valentine
Principal Librarian: Resources
Libraries Culture and Learning
Health and Community Services
Hertfordshire County Council

Office: (01707) 281593        Comnet: 21593