Help for LIB-RFID-UK Archives

LIB-RFID-UK Archives

LIB-RFID-UK@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

LIB-RFID-UK Home

LIB-RFID-UK  February 2012

LIB-RFID-UK February 2012

Use of RFID in paper-based special collections/mss/artworks

Julia <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion List for RFID in Libraries <[log in to unmask]>, Julia <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 21 Feb 2012 13:45:11 +0000

Dear all

I see there are very few queries concerning this, but I wonder if you could kindly offer me your thoughts on the use of RFID in paper-based collections, which could include rare manuscripts, drawings/prints on paper, etc?

I am currently researching into the feasibility of using RFID to tag, for security and auditing purposes - possibly even to monitor environmental conditions - delicate original works of art.

Realising that libraries worldwide are now using RFID, mainly for the purpose of automating retrieval and optimising visitor service, I became aware that comparatively few museums and galleries are using this technology for their collections of art and artefacts.

I am interested in the following issues:

- Perceived difficulties of tagging delicate manuscripts, artefacts, and works of art on paper, in relating to the size/format of RFID tags

- Problems with tagging boxes of works, or frames/supports, rather than the works themselves (potential problems with labels being dislodged)

- Perceived advantages of RFID tagging - for example, in relation to auditing and security, visitor service, or conservation.

- Perceived disadvantages with the technologies used.

I am putting together a brief literature review and overview of case studies concerning special collections which have used RFID. Should any forum members wish to participate or offer information, I would be most grateful to hear from you. I should note that this review will be shown internally, within the museum and to four colleagues in the registrars department, purely for being a starting point of our investigation; this would not be published or shared externally.

with thanks

Julia