Help for KULTUR Archives

KULTUR Archives

KULTUR@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

KULTUR Home

KULTUR  November 2007

KULTUR November 2007

Initial requirements for KULTUR demonstrator - item types and metadata

Timothy Miles-Board <[log in to unmask]>

Timothy Miles-Board <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 1 Nov 2007 11:40:19 +0000

We agreed that it would very beneficial to have the KULTUR demonstrator
available for the advocacy workshop (to be scheduled between 19-28 Nov).

The aim is for the demonstrator to include examples of output from all
partner institutions (with the originating institution recorded in each
item's metadata), focusing on breadth of item types.

Historically, the default EPrints item types (article, book, thesis etc)
and associated metadata (title, abstract, journal, isbn etc) have been
geared toward "traditional" research outputs. However in the latest
version of EPrints we have also tried to accomodate creative arts
outputs -- artefacts, show/exhibition, composition, performance, image,
video and audio -- using the RAE submission guidelines and our own
Southampton IR as a basis for defining the default set of metadata
associated with these types.

Examples of creative arts outputs in Southampton IR:

Artefact
http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/perl/search/advanced?type=artefact&_action_search=Search

Show/Exhibition
http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/perl/search/advanced?type=exhibition&_action_search=Search

Composition
http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/perl/search/advanced?type=composition&_action_search=Search

Performance
http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/perl/search/advanced?type=performance&_action_search=Search

Using the EPrints defaults as a starting point, we need to define an
initial set of *key* item types and associated metadata for the KULTUR
demonstrator.

I have attached a spreadsheet listing all the item types and associated
metadata for the default EPrints setup. The item types are listed in the
top row, and metadata fields listed in the left hand column. Ticks are
used to indicate which metadata fields are associated with which item
types (ie. the metadata fields appears in the *deposit workflow* for
that item type). A bold tick indicates that the metadata field is
*required* for that item type (the depositor cannot complete the deposit
of the item until all required fields are filled in -- so the required
fields represent the minimum set of metadata that must be captured for
an item). The colours are used to group related fields in the workflow
(orange = Publication Details, yellow = Event Details, blue = Pedagogic
Details).

Can we create a similar spreadsheet listing the *key* item types and
associated metadata for the KULTUR demonstrator? We can add new item
types and metadata fields as required - please use the "Comments" column
to describe the purpose of the field and indicate how it will be filled
in by the depositor. For example, I suggest that we add an "Originating
Institution" field to all item types - to fill this field in the
depositor will pick one value from a list of KULTUR partner institutions.

Given the short timeframe, we need to agree on a specification of the
initial item types and associated metadata ASAP.

Thanks,

Tim

--
Timothy Miles-Board