JiscMail Logo

Help for JISCMAIL-NEWSLETTER Archives

JISCMAIL-NEWSLETTER Archives

keeping you up to date with news, information, training and help.

JISCMAIL-NEWSLETTER@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

JISCMAIL-NEWSLETTER Home

JISCMAIL-NEWSLETTER Home

JISCMAIL-NEWSLETTER  March 2018

JISCMAIL-NEWSLETTER March 2018

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

JiscMail Service Message: JiscMail spring update 2018

Lisa Vincent <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 20 Mar 2018 10:53:46 +0000

In this newsletter we have 5 updates for you:

1. System upgrades

2. Deletion of mailing lists with publicly accessible list archives and no list owner

3. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)

4. Subscriber tip

5. Introducing: Call for Participants and Online Surveys from Jisc

1. System upgrades

In January made some changes to our servers; this was essential to ensure the smooth future operation of JiscMail.  After the upgrade some users may have found their existing password didn’t work. The fix is to re-register your password, this can be done by fully logging out, then visiting our password register page here: https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?GETPW1=OWNER

We are currently working with our colleagues in the UK Access Management Federation team, and will be making some changes to update our single sign-on (institutional login), and we'll keep you updated with progress on this.

And finally, we're going to be upgrading our mailing list software (ListServ) to the next version, if we expect any downtime or disruption to services, we'll keep you posted.

If you read publicly accessible JiscMail list archives then this information may affect you. The JiscMail support team is continually working to ensure all mailing lists are managed and maintained in line with our service policies. In light of the introduction of GDPR, the JiscMail service policy regarding archived mailing lists has been revised.  Instead of being retained indefinitely, publicly accessible archived lists which do not have a current owner will be deleted.

One of our tasks is to ensure that every mailing list has a contactable list owner. The role of the list owner is to oversee list activity, take responsibility for message archives, and to support and maintain list membership.

Having a list owner is a requirement for all JiscMail mailing lists, whether the list is active or archived i.e. the list is kept as a resource for subscribers but the posting functionality has been disabled. In cases where a list owner cannot be contacted, we will attempt to find a new one from the current membership. If we cannot find an appropriate new owner, the list is deemed to have no owner, and the current policy would be to archive the list.

The new policy is to delete all publicly accessible archived lists which do not have a current owner.

Existing lists for which we cannot identify an owner will be deleted on 30th April 2018. When the list is deleted, all postings and subscribers will be permanently removed from the service.

The JiscMail support team has already posted a deletion notice to every list affected and made an announcement on relevant webpages.
Attached to this message is a list-of-lists so you can see which mailing lists are affected.

If you have any questions about list deletion notices, please contact our support team [log in to unmask]

3. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)

The new GDPR legislation, which replaces the Data Protection Act, will come into effect in May 2018. Working with our colleagues in the information strategy department, JiscMail are taking appropriate measures to make sure we are fully compliant with the new legislation (see previous post). In addition, JiscMail service policies will be reviewed and updated to ensure we comply with new legislation, and as always changes to service policies will be communicated with all list owners in due course.

Further information about GDPR and what Jisc are doing can be found here: https://www.jisc.ac.uk/gdpr

4. Subscriber tip

If you ever want to temporarily stop emails from lists, say when you go on holiday, or want a break from discussion, it takes less than a minute.
Compose a new email, the ‘To’ address is [log in to unmask]
Leave the subject blank
In the body of the message type:
set * nomail
--

To re-enable emails again, just do the same but with the following message:
set * mail

5. Introducing: Call for Participants and Online Surveys from Jisc

We're excited to share a package of related services in the www.jisc.ac.uk family. Used together these services can support you and your organisation in carrying out research, gathering feedback, and communication.

Call for Participants
---------------------------
https://www.callforparticipants.com supports the process of recruiting volunteers to take part in research studies.
The service can be used by researchers; to advertise research study opportunities and recruit participants, and by volunteers; to search and sign up to take part in research projects.

Use Call for Participants alongside JiscMail, to communicate with your research groups.

Find out more about using Jisc's Call for Participants service by visiting: https://www.callforparticipants.com/about

Online surveys
---------------------------
https://www.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/ (formerly BOS) is a web based survey tool, providing the tools to design, develop, launch and analyze surveys.

Surveys can be used to: monitor satisfaction, identify improvements, support the work of academics and researchers, as well as collecting information to develop new services and support.

Jisc's online surveys is built for the education sector, data is secure and it meets all UK data protection laws. Online surveys has been a Jisc service since October 2017 (since transferring from the University of Bristol).

We think that Jisc's online surveys and JiscMail work well together; use mailing lists to share surveys (if your list owner permits this), or collaborate with list subscribers to develop surveys within special interest groups for wider use.

Find out more about online surveys by visiting, https://www.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/about/

Use all three services together to support your research and education activities; using Call for Participants to gather volunteers, JiscMail to communicate information, and online surveys to capture feedback.

Bundled packages for online surveys and Call for Participants are available on request, contact [log in to unmask] for more information.

Thanks for reading

As always, if you have any questions about this newsletter or need any help or advice using JiscMail - contact us at [log in to unmask]

Check JiscMail service status information at https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/
Or social media pages: @jiscmailhelp www.facebook.com/jiscmail

Thanks for supporting JiscMail

JiscMail Helpline team