To view this newsletter in a browser, visit:
https://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=JISCMAIL-NEWSLETTER;12e7215e.1010p

To ensure that this newsletter is delivered to your inbox, add

Logo National Academic Mailing List Service
JISCMail Newsletter: October 2010
In this Newsletter:

Welcome | RSCtv - available to view online | Online helpline ticketing | Creating a New Newsletter Template | Helpline Tip | New JISCMail Groups | Operational News | Subscription Details
Welcome

Welcome to the October 2010 JISCMail Newsletter. This newsletter was created with our very own newsletter tool. Any subscriber to JISCMail can use our professional looking newsletter templates. Find out more here: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/help/subscribers/newsletters.html.

In this issue of the JISCMail newsletter, you can view the RSCtv webinar we presented, test our new online helpline, view our newsletter and helpline tips and learn about new JISCMail groups.

If you have colleagues who you think would find the newsletter useful, please feel free to pass this on to them. They can sign up for their own free monthly copy by registering here: https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=JISCMAIL-NEWSLETTER

Finally - if there's something you'd like to see in future JISCMail newsletters or have a JISCMail success story, please send us an email: [log in to unmask]. We’d love to hear from you.

RSCtv - available to view online

Image

JISCMail is evolving – it is no longer just for plain text email discussions, and this webinar aims to take you on a tour of all the exciting new features and tools JISCMail has to offer. In April we launched a new website which has improved navigation, displays all our features on the homepage and has personalisation via the new ‘My groups’ box. We’ll take you through how to get the best from our new website, how to search for new groups to join and how to search our extensive archives on many different subjects.

JISCMail's RSCtv webinar is now available to watch online here: https://sas.elluminate.com/site/external/recording/playback/link/meeting.jnlp?suid=M.B1C307256A76FD970BE01D84F30EE5&sid=2009077.

To view other RSCtv webinars, please visit: http://www.rsc-sw-scotland.ac.uk/rsctv/RSCtv.htm

Online helpline ticketing

We'd like some help testing out our newly developed web helpline system. The web helpline allows you to submit queries and view replies from JISCMail staff through a web browser. The web helpline also allows you to see existing queries submitted via e-mail.

If you're interested in testing this feature please visit http://aux.jiscmail.ac.uk/help/subscribers/webhelplinehelp.html for more information.

We're enthusiastic to hear any feedback you may have. Please reply to this group ([log in to unmask]) with your thoughts.

Creating a New Newsletter Template

To enter the newsletter template section, go to a list homepage e.g. https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/YOURGROUPNAME and click on newsletter templates in the options box.

To create a new template based on a default template, simply edit that template and change the template name before clicking the Save button. The template will now be saved with the new name.

To create a new template from scratch, click on the Create New Template option in the select template section. The Create New Template screen opens, which is where you will enter the content for the new template.

To delete a template, click on the Recycling Bin icon associated with that template.
To refresh the newsletter template gallery, click the Refresh Gallery option.

READ MORE >

Helpline Tip

Image

The JISCMail Survey tool

How do my colleagues feel about recent changes in policy or organisation? What were the really valuable experiences from my last meeting or conference? Is my policy on advertising jobs or events and my way of dealing with off-topic postings in line with my members' wishes?

Whatever you want to ask your list members, you can use the JISCMail Surveys tool to do this. It provides list owners with a quick and easy way to conduct online web-based surveys on their groups.

Our Surveys tool has a number of benefits for owners and members :-

It is free - there are no costs, no limits on the number of surveys, numbers of questions or the frequency with which you run them.

It is responsive - you can define your questions and make then available to all your members at once. Being online, as members you can answer easily and at a time that suits you and you can be sure that your answers are completely anonymous.

It is flexible - you can make the survey as short or as detailed as you like. You can keep it simple with questions requiring just yes/no answers or there are a number of other options, such as multiple choice radio buttons, drop down lists, and also open questions where list members can express their opinions in their own words. Surveys can be short and performed once, or they can be detailed questionnaires for research or consultancy that can be run repeatedly to monitor changing opinions over time.

It is powerful - results can be monitored online as they are received, displayed online as bar graphs, or downloaded for further processing and presentation in a spreadsheet or other software packages.

It is simple to use - it's easy to design the survey, to answer the questions and to view the results and because it's part of JISCMail, all communications such as introductions, explanations and discussions of results can be performed alongside on your list.

For detailed instructions on how to create your survey, please see the help page at http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/tools/surveys.html

READ MORE >

New JISCMail Groups

Efficiency

ALT-WORDPRESS - A group to support discussion within ALT about use of WordPress to replace Newsweaver for newsletter.alt.ac.uk

SYNTH-SIM - A discussion group for members of the synthetic data and agent based modelling groups to exchange ideas etc.

RAPTOR-USERS - This group is used by users of the RAPTOR software tool to get support and advice from the developers and the user community.

RAPTOR-ANNOUNCE - This group is used by the developers of the RAPTOR software to make announcements to its users.

ARC-APG - A mail list for the Academic Registrars Council Assessment Practitioner Group to enable discussion about the administration, regulation and conduct of exams, assessment and awards.

CCPNMR-DEV - The ccpnmr-dev mailing group is used for the discussion by developers of the CcpNmr software.

SUBJECT-NETWORKS - This group provides a forum for subject mentors and related staff to share views, ideas and suggestions to progress the workings of the subject networks.

ATYACC - This group is for the Arts and Culture subcommittee of the Alan Turing Year centenary

IFMH-COMMITTEE - A mailing group for committee members of Information for the Management of Healthcare IFMH.

SCAAFFILIATE - This list is for the 10 affiliate mebers of the SCA, so that they can be kept regularly updated and informed of SCA affivities and products. this is also act as an information sharing forum between all of the partners.

SPCE - This group is for the use of members of the Sustainable Procurement Centre (SPCE) of Excellence Steering Committee to share knowledge and advise on matters relating to the SPCE project and sustainable procurement development in Higher Education.

IGRASP-SUPERUSERS - A best practice forum for HE i-GRasp super users to share templates, questions, supporting documentation and other examples of best practice.

PAN-SCOT - Discussion group for the administrators and operations staff of the Scottish research pooling initiatives.
The group will be used to exchange ideas, raise discussion topics and to collaborate on intra pool activity.

SOCIAL-SCIENCE-IN-THE-CITY - This is the group for The Social Science in the City project based in the Department of Health and Applied Social Science at The University of the West of England, Bristol, UK

Learning and Teaching

RSC-SE-HE - HE mailing for HEI contacts in Southeast of England.

SLTA - This group is for people involved in the running of student led teaching awards in universities in Scotland to enable them to share ideas and ask questions.

RSCSE-ALPS-ILT - A Mailing group for the ALPS WBL providers and their use of technology in learning and teaching.

ACCESSNW - This group is for anyone with an interest in Accessibility, Inclusion and Additional Learner Support in Further Education, based in the North West. The list aims to be a discussion forum as well as a source of information on support available from the JISC community.

SUPPORTINGYOURINSTITUTION - JISC's strategic briefing for senior managers in universities and colleges

External Engagement

COMPASSIONATECOMMUNITIES - This group is used by people interested in promoting the idea of compassionate communities which support and raise awareness of palliative care and end of life issues.

QE-SIG - This group is used by the e-learning quality enhancement special interest group to provide members with up to date information of; the activities of the SIG, developments in the field of quality assurance and enhancement and stimulate debate on matters of interest to the SIG community.

POLECONHEALTH - group to circulate information on political economy applied to health systems, health care and health. Political economy means the use of economics methods and terminology to understand the process of collective decision making in the area of health care.

Research

LOVELAWSECULARITY - The group is to serve a network of scholars researchers interested in the title themes and arises out of a recent symposium hosted at the University of Glasgow. The group will be used to update members, share relevant information and continue the dialogue in relation to the topic. It is envisaged that this will be a long-term project and as such the number of members is likely to grow.

PEDEC - The PEDEC (Promoting Equality and Diversity Through Economic Crisis) research network brings together scholars, practitioners and activists from the UK, Europe and the US through a series of workshops to explore the implications of the economic downturn, and coming cuts in public spending, for maintaining and progressing equality and diversity standards and for including marginalized groups in economic recovery.

CHI-MED-NEWS - This group is for the Research Council funded programme grant. It is used to provide information to those outside the project interested in the project and its findings.

IDEACETLREADINGGROUP - Group for IDEA CETL www.idea.leeds.ac.uk Applied Ethics Reading Group, for post-graduates, researchers and teaching staff associated with the CETL.

MATHS-SPORT-ANNOUNCE - This group is set up to support the University of Cambridge's Millennium Mathematics Project's new Maths and Sport website and project, which will publish free educational and public understanding resources exploring mathematics and science in the context of the sport and particularly the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games. Resources are aimed at school students, school teachers and the general public and will feature the work of UK maths and science researchers. The group will be used to circulate announcements of new resources and related activities and events of interest to list subscribers.

LONDONSOUNDSEMINAR - The London Sound Seminar offers an opportunity for research students and faculty in London to explore issues relating to the history and theory of all forms of sound-making and auditory culture.

This group is used to distribute announcements about upcoming meetings, and for general discussion.

GOVSUS - We would like to use the list to disseminate information, calls for papers and pass on information about forthcoming events.

The group could also act as a discussion forum for the important issues that we are working on.

Sustainability

SUSTAINABLEREMEDIATION - This group exists to facilitate the sharing of information and exchange of experience in the identification and implementation of sustainable remediation. Researchers, practitioners and regulators are welcome to join and benefit from others experiences and in due course share their own thoughts and insights into this field.

Operational News

The JANET 'at risk' period applies to the JISCMail service and occurs every Tuesday morning between 07:00 and 09:00. Wherever possible, all maintenance will be conducted within this period.

Subscription Details

You are subscribed to JISCMail Newsletter. To unsubscribe, visit:
https://JISCMAIL.AC.UK/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=JISCMAIL-NEWSLETTER&A=1

Building R89, F16
Science and Technology Facilities Council
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
Harwell Science and Innovation Campus
DIDCOT
Oxon
OX11 0QX

01235 446780
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk

JISC Advance logo

Follow JISCMail on Twitter

Follow JISCMail on Facebook

By using the JISCMail service please be aware that you are bindingly accepting the terms of the JANET Acceptable Use Policy.

Copyright © JISCMail 2000-2010