Re: Meaning of Open Access

Stevan Harnad <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 9 May 2012 07:53:12 -0400

No, mandated Green Gratis OA cannot be prevented or "rescinded" by publishers
(and publishers are well aware of that -- it is researchers who are
naive about it).

On the contrary, the more OA we have, the harder it is to retard or resist it:
the change is optimal, self-reinforcing, and irreversible:

http://www.eprints.org/openaccess/self-faq/#32.Poisoned

Please, please let's stop being so short-sighted. The reason it is so
important to lower barriers and grasp what is within reach
(universally mandated Green, Gratis OA) is that that is what will
bring us all the other good things we also seek (Libre OA, Gold OA,
copyright reform).

Over-reaching, and carping about definitions and ideals, and
especially preaching that continuing no-OA is preferable to low-bar-OA
is just what is keeping us treading water year upon year, instead of
flooding the planet (irreversibly) with the Green Gratis OA that we
could already have.

Stevan Harnad