Help for IR Archives

IR Archives

IR@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

IR Home

IR  June 2012

IR June 2012

CFP CIKM'12 Workshop on Exploiting Semantic Annotations: Deadline July 10

Jaap Kamps <[log in to unmask]>

Jaap Kamps <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 11 Jun 2012 21:11:26 +0200

Fifth Workshop on
Exploiting Semantic Annotations for Information Retrieval (ESAIR'12)

CIKM 2012, November 2, Maui
http://staff.science.uva.nl/~kamps/esair12/

Submissions due: July 10

* Call for Papers

There is an increasing amount of structure on the Web as a result of
modern Web languages, micro-formats and linked data, user tagging and
annotation, and emerging robust NLP tools.  These meaningful, semantic,
annotations hold the promise to significantly enhance information
access, by enhancing the depth of analysis of today's systems.
Currently, we have only started exploring the possibilities and only
begin to understand how these valuable semantic cues can be put to
fruitful use.  To complicate matters, standard text search excels at
shallow information needs expressed by short keyword queries, and here
semantic annotation contributes very little, if anything.

The main questions for the workshop are how to leverage the rich context
currently available, especially in a mobile search scenario, giving
powerful new handles to exploit semantic annotations.  And how can we
fruitfully combine information retrieval and semantic web approaches,
and for the first time work actively toward a unified view on exploiting
semantic annotations.

* Many Open Questions

The Workshop will bring together researchers working with semantic
annotations, its use cases, its sources (authoring to NLP tools), its
users, and its use in DB, IR, KM, or Web research, and work together on
a range of open questions:

- Application/Use Case: What are use cases that make obvious the need
for semantic annotation of information?  What tasks cannot be solved by
document retrieval using the traditional bag-of-words?  What is keeping
searchers from exploring these powerful search request?

- Annotations: What types of annotation are available?  Are there
crucial differences between author-, software-, user- , and
machine-generated annotations?  How similar or different are linked data
and annotated text?  What is impact of the web of data with more and
more information in preprocessed form?

- Rich Context:  Besides personalization and geo-positional information,
mobiles have a wide and growing range of locational, mechanical and even
biometrical sensor data available to them.  Can kick-start the query by
inferring task and situational context in the mobile use case?

- (Un)certainty: How should we interpret the annotations?  Can expect a
messy world to be captured in a clean set of meaningful categories?  Or
is all information fundamentally uncertain and only partly known?  How
can we fruitfully combine information retrieval and semantic web approaches?

These and other related questions will be discussed at this open format
workshop -- the aim is to provide paths for further research to change
the way we understand information access today!

* We Need Your Help!

Help us shape the future of information access by increasing the depth
of analysis of today's systems:

- Submit a short 2-page research or position paper explaining your key
wishes or key points,

- and take actively part in the discussion at the Workshop.

The deadline is Friday July 10, 2012, further submission details are on
http://staff.science.uva.nl/~kamps/esair12/

We are looking forward to a productive, stimulating and fruitful
workshop day in the tradition of previous ESAIR workshops -- come join
the discussion!

Jaap Kamps, University of Amsterdam
Jussi Karlgren, Gavagai Stockholm
Peter Mika, Yahoo! Research, Barcelona
Vanessa Murdock, Yahoo! Research, Barcelona