Help for HIGHLANDS Archives

HIGHLANDS Archives

HIGHLANDS@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

HIGHLANDS Home

HIGHLANDS  2000

HIGHLANDS 2000

Catriona's point and 'Breaking the Waves'

jm224 <[log in to unmask]>

jm224 <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 18 Feb 2000 17:37:24 -0600

Hello to all. The recent exchanges have been great; I really like the bursts
of energy that questions occasionally arouse in us as a group.
Personally I am delighted at Fraser's strong stance re personal attacks.
'Let's be nice to each other', as I used to say to the rough boys in Greenock
Academy intent on beating me up.

I was intrigued by Catriona's remark that "I'm a twentysomething and the
>longest I've been away from Lewis is a week. Yet, I don't feel like I'm
>being repressed by the churches or isolated because I like to go out for a
>drink and I've never felt compelled to leave the island. The Presbyterian
>churches don't, in this day and age, interfere with secular culture although
>they would - and why shouldn't they - object to one of their own MEMBERS
>going out dancing instead of to the prayer meeting. They don't impose their
>views on the rest of us anymore than any other interest group you might
>choose to name."

I'm interested in it because one of my sore points at the moment is the Lars
von Trier movie 'Breaking the Waves'. Fraser's rules about being kind don't
really allow me much scope but let it suffice to say that I consider it a 'bad
film'. I think the portrayal of highland religion in that film [a huge
international hit, criticially acclaimed, by the way, in Time, Newsweek, the
New Yorker, and Macleans to name but four of North America's biggest hitters]
is ridiculously inaccurate, skewed, distorted and simplistic. Is it just me?
What do the rest of you think? Is highland religion always portrayed like
this? Does it matter?

Happy Weekend to you all.
James

Dr James Lachlan MacLeod