Help for HETECON Archives

HETECON Archives

HETECON@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

HETECON Home

HETECON  May 2012

HETECON May 2012

Attitudes to Economic Inequalities Conference

Alan Freeman <[log in to unmask]>

Alan Freeman <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 3 May 2012 07:29:20 -0500

I'm forwarding this, as list-owner, to the HETECON list because it was intercepted (in error) by JISCMAIL's spam filter
The original sender (for replies) was [log in to unmask]

-Alan

**Conference Announcement**

Living in Squeezed Britain: Attitudes to Wealth and Economic Inequality in the New Age of Austerity

http://www.cumberlandlodge.ac.uk/squeezed_britain

13-15 June 2012
Cumberland Lodge, The Great Park, Windsor SL4 2HP

Concept
Even in the most optimistic economic projections, the UK will remain squeezed for at least ten years. At the same time, the large growth in income inequalities experienced since the 1970s has not been reversed. Attitudes to wealth and income inequalities are cast in a new light in this era of austerity. Consumer behaviours and attitudes to money which were fostered by the boom of the Eighties and Nineties are obsolete – and, worse, they will create growing resentment if unchecked. If, as seems increasingly likely, there is no magic bullet to solve the current economic crisis, then we must focus on how to cope with life in squeezed and unequal Britain. Our current social attitudes to wealth, disposable income, savings, owning property, the state, pensions, and even what we expect to inherit from our parents is going to have to change. If these changes happen unthinkingly, social tensions will rise. This is not just about the richest 1% – it is about how children will grow up resenting the fact that they cannot hope to have a life as ‘good’ as their parents. If we don’t change our ideas about the connection between wealth, income and happiness, then riots and social unrest will continue. But ideas about wealth, earnings, consumption and happiness have undergone this kind of seismic shift before: the conspicuous consumption of the 1920s gave way to a culture of disgust with decadence in the 1930s. We can learn to live in Squeezed Britain - indeed, we have to - and this conference offers the opportunity to find out how.

Speakers include:
John Bird, Co-founder, The Big Issue
Professor Gordon Brown, Warwick University Elizabeth Clery, Co-director, British Social Attitudes Survey Naomi Eisenstadt, Department of Education, University of Oxford Sir John Gieve, Chairman of VocaLink Professor John Hills, LSE Professor John Holmwood, University of Nottingham Paul Johnson, Director, IFS Dr Omar Khan, Head of Policy, Runnymede Trust Professor Peter Taylor-Gooby, University of Kent Martin Vander Weyer, Business Editor, The Spectator Karl Wilding, Head of Policy, Research and Foresight, NCVO Matthew Whittaker, Resolution Foundation

Registration

Conference rates are inclusive of registration, accommodation in historic surroundings, and exceptional food:
Standard Rate £190; Student Rate (shared accommodation) £85; Non-residential rate: £90

Register online at:
http://events.constantcontact.com/register/event?llr=fly6pgdab&oeidk=a07e5rzps8415955c46

For more information please visit:
http://www.cumberlandlodge.ac.uk/squeezed_britain