GRIDPP-STORAGE  July 2012

GRIDPP-STORAGE July 2012

Re: Best arrangement of RAID arrays

Tue, 17 Jul 2012 13:32:50 +0000

It also however makes sense to have disk pools ( ie at the filesystem level) to be a similar size that you already have so as to balance the data placement.

-----Original Message-----
From: GRIDPP2: Deployment and support of SRM and local storage management [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of A.J.Martin
Sent: 17 July 2012 12:33
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Best arrangement of RAID arrays

Hi Mark,
           if you create logical partitions you are likely to get much poorer overall performance if you have a lot of read/write tasks because the heads will need to move a lot more,  and the OS doesn't know the partitions are on the same physical drives.

I did some benchmarks measuring this with some of our old hardware which has 30x1TB HDD's when the ext3/4 limit was 8TB and saw much performance with the partitions mapping to independent RAID vols, although in the end we used logical partitions to maximize the available space.

cheers.
Alex

--
Scanned by iCritical.