Re: Things that make you go Mmm.

MICHAEL D'SOUZA <[log in to unmask]>

GP-UK <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 5 Feb 2011 09:24:04 +0000

I think High blood pressure ( like not wearing a safety belt) is best defined as a RISK factor. Hypertensive disease is where there is target organ damage associated with high blood pressure. DISEASE is  doctor defined,  ILLNESS is patient defined, while SICKNESS is society defined. As a fan of trying to encourage more post-nosological thinking I see these terms only have reality as invented conventions to help us communicate a bit less fuzzily.

Mike