GERMAN-STUDIES@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

GERMAN-STUDIES Home

GERMAN-STUDIES  June 2000

GERMAN-STUDIES June 2000

The Altenberg Experience

Gordon Turner <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 30 Jun 2000 17:05:04 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time)

TEXT/PLAIN

Dear Colleague,

After over 20 years of attending and helping to run the
annual Introductory Courses for intending English Language
Assistants going to Germany I have decided, at somewhat
short notice, to call it a day. This is by way of a call to
establish if there are any colleagues out there interested
in taking on this most worthwhile activity with effect from
the beginning of September 2000.

The courses (normally three in number) take place in the
first two weeks of September in Altenberg, to the East of
Cologne.  Originally run jointly by the Central Bureau and
the Pädagogischer Austauschdienst (PAD) in Bonn, the
organisation responsible for placing assistants in Germany,
the courses are now organised wholly by the PAD with input
by a representative sample of German tutors teaching in
schools in the various Bundesländer and the support of
British tutors drawn from the HE sector as well as the
Central Bureau. Each course lasts three full days with an
arrival and departure day between.

The work of the British tutors involves both small group
teaching and contributing to plenary sessions on aspects as
varied as effective teaching of English, classroom
management and cultural issues such as differences in
approach and attitude between Germany and the
English-speaking world. There is ample scope for helping
and advising undergraduates and some postgraduates, not
only from the British Isles but also from Australia,
Canada, New Zealand and the United States.

In my view, as far as the courses in Altenberg are
concerned, there is a obvious need for a dynamic and
clearly defined input from the British tutors on whom
German tutor colleagues have come to rely over the years
for support and co-operation. The work is particularly
relevant for a colleague who has spent time teaching
English in Germany and has a good knowledge of the German
education system. Involvement in the courses is most
rewarding, allowing considerable scope for contact with
German-speaking colleagues and intending assistants needing
guidance and encouragement. The days are admittedly long
but they are always varied and never dull!

The post of tutor that I am relinquishing is funded and
paid for by the PAD, the remuneration covering full travel
costs, a fee for each course and with full board and
lodging provided. It is hard for me to imagine no longer
being part of the annual pilgrimage to; it is an exercise
to which I have greatly enjoyed contributing and which I
know that I will greatly miss. I can guarantee that the
location and the nature of the Altenberg courses will draw
my eventual successor back again and again. I wish anyone
taking on the mantle of tutor as much enjoyment and
personal as well as professional satisfaction as I have
been privileged to derive over the past 20 years of my
involvement in this extremely worthwhile exercise.

If there are any colleagues who would like to know more
about any aspect of the Altenberg courses, they should feel
free to contact me in the first instance. I shall endeavour
to answer any question as honestly and fully as I can.

Gordon Turner

PS Please feel free to forward this e-mail to other
colleague(s)

>From / expediteur / Absender

Gordon Turner
School of Language, Linguistics