Help for GEOPHYSICS Archives

GEOPHYSICS Archives

GEOPHYSICS@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

GEOPHYSICS Home

GEOPHYSICS  December 2018

GEOPHYSICS December 2018

EGU-2019 - Crust-Lithosphere-Asthenosphere Interplay, Deformation, and Dynamics

Irene Bianchi <[log in to unmask]>

Irene Bianchi <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 19 Dec 2018 13:48:19 +0100

Dear Colleagues,

with apologies for cross-posting,

I am writing to draw your attention to the session:

"Crust-Lithosphere-Asthenosphere Interplay, Deformation, and Dynamics"
(GD2.3/SM2.7/TS9.8), EGU-2019 General Assembly in Vienna, Austria.

The session is broad and interdisciplinary, and we want to show the
potential of different methods, to meet, and to share ideas of
state-of-the-art research on crustal, lithospheric, and asthenospheric
deformation. Contributions from seismology, geodynamical modeling
(analogue and numerical), structural geology, and mineral and rock
physics are very welcome.

This session will feature invited presentations by:
- Greg Houseman (Institute of Geophysics and Tectonics, University of
Leeds)
- Agnes Kiraly (Department of Geosciences, University of Oslo)

Detailed information can be found at:

https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2019/session/32210

Abstract submission deadline on Thursday, 10 January 2019, 13:00 CET.

If you find this session interesting, please share this announcement
within your network.

We look forward to your submissions and to meet you in Vienna!

with Best Regards,

Ehsan Qorbani
Irene Bianchi
Ernst Willingshofer
Boris Kaus

Crust-Lithosphere-Asthenosphere Interplay, Deformation, and Dynamics

Knowledge of the lithosphere-asthenosphere system and its dynamics is
one of the key questions for understanding geological processes.
Constraints on the style, mechanism, and pattern of deformation in the
crust and upper mantle come from direct and indirect observations using
a variety of methods. Seismological studies focusing on anisotropy have
successfully improved our knowledge of deformation patterns, and when
combined with tomographic models, anisotropy can shed light on the
geometry of deformation in the lithosphere and asthenosphere.
Sophisticated geodynamic modeling (numerical and physical analogue) and
laboratory (rock physics) experiments enhance our understanding of flow
patterns in the Earth's upper mantle and their bearing on vertical
motions of crust and lithosphere. Combined with seismic anisotropy data
these methods have the potential to reveal the mechanisms that create
deformation-induced features such as shape preferred orientation (SPO)
and lattice-preferred orientation (LPO). Structural and kinematic
characterization of deformation events by geometric and kinematic
analyses infer the direction and magnitude of the tectonic forces
involved in driving deformation within crust and upper mantle.
Additionally, physical analogue and numerical modeling studies have
fostered our understanding of complex 3D-plate interaction on various
time-scales, regulated through the degree of plate coupling and the
rheology of the lithosphere.

However, more work is required to better integrate the various
experimental and modelling techniques and to link them to multi-scale
observations. This session will bring together different disciplines
that focus on the deformation of the lithosphere and upper mantle as
well as on the dynamics and nature of the lithosphere-asthenosphere
system. The main goal is to demonstrate the potential of different
methods, and to share ideas of how we can collaboratively study
lithospheric deformation, and how it relates to the ongoing dynamics
within the asthenospheric mantle. Contributions are sought from studies
employing seismic observation, geodynamical modeling (analogue and
numerical), structural geology, and mineral and rock physics.

--
Dr Irene Bianchi

Institut für Meteorologie und Geophysik
Universität Wien