GEO-METAMORPHISM@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

GEO-METAMORPHISM Home

GEO-METAMORPHISM  2003

GEO-METAMORPHISM 2003

Fall AGU meeting: GARNET SESSION

"Donna L. Whitney" <[log in to unmask]>

Metamorphic Studies Group <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 29 Jul 2003 10:44:34 -0500

I would like to call your attention to the following session at the
Fall AGU meeting (8-12 December  2003, San Francisco, California).
The session will include presentations on a wide range of topics with
the general theme of what we can learn about geological processes
from studies of garnet (chemistry, microstructure).

The deadline for abstract submission via the web is 4 September 2003,
1400 UT. See the AGU Fall Meeting website for other information about
the meeting: http://www.agu.org/meetings/fm03/.

Please contact one of the conveners listed below if you have any
questions about the garnet session, and please pass this email along
to interested colleagues and students.

Many facets of garnet: Recorders of crust and mantle dynamics

Conveners

Donna L. Whitney, Geology & Geophysics, Univ of Minnesota,
Minneapolis, MN 55455 USA
Tel 612-626-7582; Fax: 612-625-3819; E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Derek Vance, Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham. Surrey TW20 OEX  UK
Tel 44 1784 443615; Fax 44 1784 471780; E-mail: [log in to unmask]
David Hirsch, Department of Geology, Western Washington University,
Bellingham WA 98225 USA
Tel 1-360-650-2166; E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Richard Spiess, Dipartimento di Mineralogia e Petrologia, Corso
Garibaldi 37, 35137 Padova ITALY
Tel 39-049-8272016; Fax 39-049-8272010; E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Session Description

The chemical and physical properties of garnets have long been
central to petrologic and structural studies of the continental crust
and mantle because garnets may record the pressure, temperature,
strain, and fluid histories of rocks through time. In recent years,
new techniques have improved our ability to probe the chemical
composition, isotopic systematics, and microstructures of garnets,
and therefore to better understand metamorphic and magmatic
processes. Methods and applications include

 Elemental and isotopic studies of major, trace, and volatile
components in garnets and inclusions in garnets to understand the
evolution of the crust and mantle, the rates and mechanisms of high-T
geologic processes (heating, burial/decompression, mineral growth,
deformation), and the record of fluid-rock interactions in the Earth
through time.

 Microstructural studies to document brittle and ductile processes
in the continental crust and mantle.

We welcome contributions that use garnet-based studies to understand
petrologic and tectonic processes. In particular, we encourage papers
from investigators using high-resolution methods to characterize and
interpret the composition and microstructures of garnets in a
petrologic or structural context.