GBHGIS@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

GBHGIS Home

GBHGIS  July 2012

GBHGIS July 2012

Vision of Britain 2.5 goes live

Humphrey Southall <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion of the Great Britain Historical GIS, and the Vision of Britain through Time web site" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 5 Jul 2012 07:46:51 +0200

We hope that members of this list have realised that for the last 18
months we have replaced it with the Vision of Britain blog, but this
announcement is probably worth repeating here.

We are now running a new version of the web site A Vision of Britain
through Time on a new server.

There are a lot of changes, and we will be making a whole series of
blog posts about them, but for now we need to apologise for the glitches,
one
 of which is still affecting the site.

The new server has been running since before Easter, and we have
spent a lot of time fixing problems with it. However, as it was not the
production site until yesterday it had to be running at a different
address, and the problems we have been having for the last day are ones
that only showed up when we changed addresses.

The remaining big problem we know about is that access to individual
historical maps is not working correctly: the IIPImage viewer comes up,
but it cannot find its map tiles. We were having a different but related
 problem with access to the same historical maps from the separate Old
Maps Online portal, and John Westwood from our team stayed up late last
night and fixed that  so give Old Maps http://www.oldmapsonline.org a try.

Humphrey Southall

Dr Humphrey Southall
Reader in Geography/Director, GB Historical GIS,
Dept of Geography, University of Portsmouth,
Buckingham Building, Lion Terrace,
Portsmouth PO1 3HE, UK

GBHGIS Office: 023 9284 2500
Direct line: 023 9284 2497