GASCOIGNE-SEMINAR  January 2009

GASCOIGNE-SEMINAR January 2009

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Gascoigne the most important writer 1575-79?

Robert Maslen <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion list on George Gascoigne <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 22 Jan 2009 15:59:36 +0000

text/plain

On Lyly's stylistic and thematic repetitiveness: I guess one is tempted to
repeat one's successes, and Lyly found a couple of rich veins to mine.  One
was the stylistic experiment called Euphuism, which as G.K. Hunter points
out he subtly adapted throughout his career.  The other was the Ovidianism
that informs all his plays after Campaspe.  The 1580s and early 90s are the
age of Ovidianism, and Lyly helped to make them that.  Mike Pincombe is
really good on the range of means by which these plays reached a wider
audience: performances at court and in the Blackfriars, and publication,
which is another form of performance...

As Gillian would point out, though, Gascoigne had pre-empted Lyly's
Ovidianism in The Complaint of Philomene!

Greene might be an interesting comparison for both writers, since he was
influenced by both: Lyly in his earlier work, Gascoigne especially in
Greene's Never Too Late (written 1590).  Why did he return to Gascoigne in
1590, after the break with Lyly he ostentatiously makes in his Menaphon?
Perhaps because Never Too Late is quasi-autobiographical, and Gascoigne was
a pioneer in autobiography (or quasi-autobiography) in Greene's youth - a
period of his life he was reawakening in his mind by looking backwards?

(By the way, Greene's an interesting example of a writer who's BOTH
immensely various AND repetitive. He plagiarizes from himself in some of his
fictions, repeating chunks of his earlier work verbatim, while having the
temerity to criticize Shakespeare for being a plagiarist in A Groatsworth of
Wit!)

Obviously self-conscious allusion to your own work helps to reinforce your
public identity as a writer.  Gascoigne refers to himself often, and often
in similar ways: as a goofy over-grown Quixote figure, whose self-mockery
ties together all his varied productions, stamping them with his signature
as surely as Euphuism stamps Lyly's works with his (before everyone starts
copying him!).  Perhaps when Greene was wanting to rebrand himself after
breaking with the 'outmoded' Lyly he turned for help to the man he felt had
best branded himself before Euphuism.  Soon afterwards Greene found a more
up-to-date vein to work in, the cony-catching pamphlets, which better suited
his circumstances than Gascoigne's court- and country-set inventions.  But
in the meantime his self-reflections of 1589-1590 show just how central
Gascoigne and Lyly were to his idea of writing...

Sometimes one gets the sense that variety is a way of casting about for a
successful formula!  Though to do all these writers justice, none of them
stuck to one for all that long.  And none of this should detract from the
achievements of any author who wrote as variously and well as Gascoigne did.

Now I really should get on with those reports I keep putting off!!!