Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Science and Wisdom-Inquiry

ian glendinning <[log in to unmask]>

Group concerned that academia should seek and promote wisdom <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 23 May 2006 08:32:42 -0500

text/plain

Nick, et al,

Not withstanding practical discussions about the best way to proceed,
I think this exchange pretty well sums up the core problem.

The standard empiricism of "scientific method" excludes "values" and
"aims towards progress" simply because it doesn't, it's philosophy is
to choose not to, not because it can't. This is indeed a kind of
neuroticism of science. Adoption of a philosophy of science that fixes
that, fixes the problem.

The problem as always is how to evaluate those progressive values, how
to make value judgements, that are not too easily distorted to
arbitrary ends. But applying "zero-tolerance" to values is at the
"autistic" end of the scale of wisdom. A mental disorder.

Ian