Help for EVIDENCE-USE Archives

EVIDENCE-USE Archives

EVIDENCE-USE@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

EVIDENCE-USE Home

EVIDENCE-USE  March 2012

EVIDENCE-USE March 2012

Using evidence to make health care safer

Alison Powell <[log in to unmask]>

The utilisation of research evidence in policy and practice <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 3 Mar 2012 10:32:28 +0000

(Please accept our apologies for any duplicate postings – please feel free to pass on to a colleague)

SDHI/NES conference: Making health care safer: learning from social and organisational research

25-26 June 2012, University of St Andrews

Conference website: http://sdhipsconf2012.wordpress.com/

Booking and call for abstracts: now open

Dear colleague

We are pleased to invite you to attend the second SDHI/NES Making health care safer conference, to be held in the beautiful setting of St Andrews on 25-26 June.

The aim of the conference is to reflect on the challenging questions facing us as researchers, practitioners and policy-makers working in the field of patient safety. Our focus is on how social and organisational research can help deepen our understanding of what makes for safer health care organisations: organisations in which the dynamics and interactions, structures, processes and cultures are conducive to both staff and patient safety.

Outline programme
The conference will include plenary sessions with time for discussion and debate, parallel interactive workshops and plenty of opportunities for networking. A drinks reception and conference dinner (included in the conference fee) will round off the first day.

The plenary speakers will be: Professor Brendan McCormack (University of Ulster), Dr Jessica Mesman (Maastricht University), Dr Brian Robson (Healthcare Improvement Scotland), Dr David Steel (formerly of NHS Quality Improvement Scotland), Professor Justin Waring (Warwick Business School) and Dr Teun Zuiderent-Jerak (Erasmus University Rotterdam). The parallel sessions will include a welcome return visit from Dr Paul Bowie and Dr Diane Kelly from NHS Education for Scotland (NES) and (in response to requests) a session looking at patient involvement in patient safety led by Professor Ian Watt and Dr Yvonne Birks from the University of York.

Bookings
Please see the attached flyer or the conference website for full details of how to book.  Early bookings are encouraged as the success of last year’s event means that we are expecting even more interest this year.

Submission of abstracts
We welcome submissions of abstracts from individuals and research teams for visual displays (posters) and for parallel sessions/workshops; full details can be found on the attached flyer and on the conference website. The closing date for submission of abstracts is 5pm on Mon 16 April.

Please circulate the attached flyer to any colleagues who might be interested.

We look forward to welcoming you to St Andrews in June!

Kind regards

Huw Davies and Alison Powell

Social Dimensions of Health Institute
Universities of Dundee and St Andrews