Hi there - we're looking for 2 experienced ESOL professionals to support English conversation clubs run by our student volunteers in Cardiff and Nottingham. Please share with anyone you think might be interested.
STAR is recruiting 2 ESOL professionals to support English Conversation Clubs for Refugees in Cardiff and Nottingham (http://www.star-network.org.uk/index.php/about/job_opportunities)
Salary: £20 per hr
Hours: 30 to 45 hrs depending on location (in total over the 6 month period)
Duration: October 2018 – March 2019 (initially)
STAR is the national network of thousands of students welcoming refugees to the UK, through awareness raising, campaigning, volunteering and fundraising. STAR student volunteers provide English Conversation Clubs at a number of locations across the UK in partnership with local refugee organisations. The primary aim of the clubs is to improve the spoken English communication skills of refugee attendees but also to reduce isolation among refugees and promote shared understanding between refugees and students.
The role involves:
• Visits to the clubs twice a term to observe and speak to volunteers to assess what support they need to provide effective conversational English language support for refugees and asylum seekers
• Providing ongoing support for STAR Conversation Club Coordinators to help them plan suitable activities/develop resources and to respond to questions they have about English language teaching.
• Designing and delivering at least one training session a term for volunteers
• Supporting the club coordinators to undertake an evaluation of the clubs
• Regular reporting of support provided
• Working in partnership with other regional ESOL consultants and STAR
The ideal candidates will have:
• English teaching qualification (e.g. TEFL, CELTA)
• Extensive experience of teaching English to asylum seekers and refugees in the UK
• Experience of working with and supporting volunteers
• A proven ability to design and deliver training
45 hours over 6 month period
We are looking to recruit an ESOL professional to support two clubs in Cardiff, which take place on Monday afternoons and Wednesday evenings, by providing guidance and training to the student volunteers during the academic year.
30 hours over 6 month period
We are looking to recruit an ESOL professional to support a club in Nottingham, which takes place on Tuesday evenings.
How to Apply
To apply: Please send a covering letter - making it clear which post you are applying for - and your CV to Emily Crowley at [log in to unmask]
Please note, this work is being offered on a self-employed basis, you will be responsible for arranging your own tax and National Insurance payments.
Deadline for applications: 9am, Friday 24th August 2018
Interviews: Telephone interviews to be held on Tuesday 28th August
For more information contact Emily Crowley on 0207 697 4132, [log in to unmask]
ESOL-Research is a forum for researchers and practitioners with an interest in research into teaching and learning ESOL. ESOL-Research is managed by James Simpson at the Centre for Language Education Research, School of Education, University of Leeds.
To join or leave ESOL-Research, visit
To contact the list owner, send an email to
[log in to unmask]