AW: Time information

Jerg Matthias <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 14 Jun 2012 14:15:24 +0000

I agree that a simple integer number which gives the elapsed seconds is much more handy if you want to collocate later etc. I am also struggling a little bit to find conversion tools for those different formats. Does anybody have experience with those things or knows what to look for exactly? Ideally it should be something in fortran which could be easily linked in the preprocessing so that everything after that step is uniform wrt time.

Matthias

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: ORAC Developers [mailto:[log in to unmask]] Im Auftrag von Richard Siddans
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 14. Juni 2012 15:31
An: [log in to unmask]
Betreff: Re: Time information

I don't know about the difference between UTC and TAI but I would definitely favour storing time+date as a elapsed seconds since a given date (double precision value).
1/1/70 as per AVHRR seems a sensible start date for this application.

I don't think its a good idea to store times as just an HHMMSS string.
It might be easy to read by eye but is very messy to handle computationally.

Richard
Richard Siddans ([log in to unmask])
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Chilton OX11 0QX, U.K.
Tel: (44) (0)1235 446428
Fax: (44) (0)1235 445848