DEAFLINK@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

DEAFLINK Home

DEAFLINK  September 2008

DEAFLINK September 2008

searching for co-researchers

Melanie Thorley <[log in to unmask]>

Deaf undergraduates and their support staff/researchers forum <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 20 Sep 2008 09:30:00 +0100

dear colleagues

apologies for cross posting and if this message is of no interest
and/or relevance

also apologies as I know how busy everyone is but I am up the creek

also, apologies if you are bored by my requests - this will be the
last posting for stage
one of my thesis as I need to start writing up my thesis asap.

some of you may recall I have finally embarked on my doctoral thesis -
exploring the
experiences of D/deaf students in HE who have worked with a notetaker.
  I still require 4
more co-researchers to work with me to generate a questionnaire for
other students. the
electronic forum has been extended until 31st october.  the
information for the
co-researchers is under my contact details below.

if you are interested, or know someone who maybe interested, please
pass on this message
when you have a chance

many thanks as always
melanie

Melanie Thorley
*AspireAbility project Worker
Aspire - SE London Aimhigher
c/o Blake 048
University of Greenwich at Medway
Central Avenue
Chatham
Kent
ME4 4TB

REQUEST FOR CO-RESEARCHERS (FOR STAGE ONE ONLY)

Dear Student/Graduate

I am undertaking a Doctorate in Education exploring notetaking support
in higher
education and would like to involve students who have had actual
experience of notetaking
support whilst at university. I have been a qualified notetaker for
over ten years and
therefore have a comprehensive knowledge of the subject.  However, I
am interested in
involving the students who have used notetakers rather than making
assumptions about the
processes. If you are a Deaf or hard of hearing university student, or
recent graduate,
who are/have worked with a notetaker in your higher education studies,
please consider
becoming one of my co-researchers.

The purpose of this first stage is to formulate a semi-structured
questionnaire to be
distributed nationally. The questionnaire will cover notetaking for
lectures, tutorials,
laboratories, seminars, exams and field trips.  The eventual outcome
is to devise a
comprehensive set of guidelines covering all aspects of notetaking.  I
am also hoping to
provide information for notetakers themselves, students working with
notetakers, students
who have a notetaker working in their environment and information for
teaching staff.

The questionnaire will be compiled electronically via a virtual
discussion board To
contribute to this stage of the research, you will need to email my
ICT advisor
([log in to unmask]).  Yana will provide you with a guest log-in to
maintain anonymity
of the co-researchers. The discussion board will be running until 31st
October  2008.  I
look forward to co-researching with you.
Many thanks

Melanie Thorley
Aspire disability project worker, notetaker and research student

07931 226599

University of Greenwich, a charity and company limited by guarantee,
registered in England (reg. no. 986729).  Registered office:
Old Royal Naval College, Park Row, Greenwich, London SE10 9LS.