Welcome to the DC-Provenance Task-Group

Kai Eckert <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 5 Aug 2010 18:13:02 +0200

Hello together,

first of all we want to thank you for your interest in our new Dublin
Core task group. Second, we want to apologize for this late first mail
on this list after the announcement on the Dublin Core website. But now,
we feel ready to really start with the heavy lifting :-)

To start off our collaborative work, we would like to give a short
overview of what we would like to accomplish in the next couple of months:

The end result will be a Dublin Core application profile that enables
metadata creators to express additional information about the metadata
they create or distribute. Technically, "provenance" is only one of the
dimensions that metadata creators may wish to express, but it
nonetheless serves as a convenient shorthand for what kind of data we
are talking about.

For example, in a linked data scenario, where it is natural to harvest
and integrate foreign metadata into one's own data sets, it becomes
crucial to having a way to also consume information about this foreign
metadata, about its origin, creator or provider, quality, and processes
that contributed to generating this data. At the same time, a metadata
creator might want to publish this kind of metametadata together with
the original metadata.

In the past, some of this has been captured under the umbrella term
"administrative metadata." Technological advancements and new workflows
have prompted metadata creators and consumers to broaden the perception
of these issues; the DC-Provenance Task Group should be a reflection of
this broadened view of metametadata or metadata provenance.

The bottom line is that we will not be concerned with the general issue
of provenance metadata, but only with the provenance (in the broad sense
of additional information) *of* metadata. Even shorter: We do not want
to create another museum vocabulary ;-)

The multifacetted general issues of provenance is tackled by other
groups and projects, for example the W3C Provenance Incubator Group.

Now some hard facts:

We have a wiki that we will use to support our group work as well as for
the publication of our results:

http://wiki.bib.uni-mannheim.de/dc-provenance/.

Regarding the membership in the group, wiki and mailing list, we have
adopted the following policy (based on general DCMI practice):

Everybody is invited and allowed to join the mailing list and can
communicate with the task-group via this way. This is at the same time
the preferred way of communication.

All results of the group work will be published in the wiki, which is
publicly accessible.

Edit rights in the wiki are only provided for task-group members.

Everyone is invited to apply for a task-group membership. You can do
this simply by writing an email to one of the task-group leaders. Please
introduce yourself shortly, describe your background and indicate, why
you want to become a member of this task-group and what kind of
contributions you are willing to make.

We expect every member to take part in the group communication and
telephone conferences at a regular basis and to be able to invest a
significant amount of time to contribute to the task-group (about 0.5
work-days per week).

So the next step will be to gather the actual members of the task-group.
Afterwards, we would like to have a first telephone conference, probably
via Skype. There we will define the further steps and communicate them
via the mailing list and the wiki.

We hope to hear from you!

Kind regards,

Michael and Kai