Re: Sub Domain policy

Joss Winn <[log in to unmask]>

data.ac.uk community discussion

Mon, 23 Apr 2012 12:46:52 +0100

On 23 Apr 2012, at 12:14, Christopher Gutteridge wrote:

> On 23/04/12 10:00, Tony.Hirst wrote:
>>>
>> And finally, do any of the organisational principle that came out of Linking You ( http://lncn.eu/toolkit ) have a role to play in shaping the organisation of data.ac.uk ?
> Would be interesting to provide a catalogue of key pages at institutions...

Alex Bilbie will be talking about Linking You at IWMW. Are there any plans for a data.ac.uk session at that conference, too?

The status of the Linking You project is that there was insufficient interest in the JISC call for a programme of supported projects to try to implement it, but I have spoken with JISC about taking it forward and developing a URI mapping tool for a new version of the data model: http://lncn.eu/toolkit/model

I don't know if it will go ahead. I'm not chasing it because we have a lot on at the moment.

The outcome of the initial critique of the Linking You toolkit was that the data model was worth pursuing.
http://linkingyou.blogs.lincoln.ac.uk/2011/08/22/a-critical-review-notes-from-a-recent-meeting/

Following that meeting, Jamie Mahoney went on to do a further analysis of HEI URIs, so we have a review of about 100 universities and how they shape up to the proposed model. We need to add his work to Alex's initial survey of 40 HEIs here: http://lncn.eu/toolkit/institution

My own view is that if the data model is ever going to be adopted by HEIs, we need to have the CMS vendors onboard and demonstrate the benefits of including it in their products. If they could write a plugin for their product that does the mapping of existing URIs into the agreed model, it would be fairly transparent to the HEI but a feature or extension that the vendor can be seen to be enriching the product with. Or maybe I'm living in la la land.

Joss