BBC, TV production and the regions

"Pratt,AC" <[log in to unmask]>

Pratt,AC

Wed, 8 Dec 2004 09:50:52 -0000

Dear All (especially those of you in the NW), I bet that there are a lot of very pleased folk regarding the BBC plans (on Newsnight last night Mark Thompson claimed that the BBC was in the regeneration game!).

Does anyone know if there is a back story about the BBC and Manchester (as in, was there lobbying etc.), or is this a 'bolt from the blue' (I know that decentralisation has been going on for a time - but this is of a different order).

It seems that the landscape of TV production and the regions has undergone a dramatic shift in recent years (with C4's nations and regions strategy, and its and BBC outside M25 production quotas). Strange, one might have expected DCMS to be playing this one, or DTI: interesting how these days such momentous changes for the organisation of production and for regional fortunes is essentially an ad hoc process. But, maybe somebody knows otherwise. I'd be interested in hear your views.

Andy

Dr Andy C Pratt
Department of Geography
London School of Economics
Houghton Street
London WC2A 2AE
email: [log in to unmask]
web pages:
[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http:[log in to unmask]
tel: +44 (0)207 955 7588
fax: +44 (0)207 955 7412
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. LSE does not accept responsibility for the external use of any information contained within this email message, none of which constitutes an offer or a contract.